It's time for a new Mac......

What's Hot
My 2011 iMac has been brilliant, but has now got to the stage where it's OS is struggling with everything! 

I'm thinking I will probably go MacBook and definitely used, but my question is how new should I go? I can pick up a re conditioned 2015 model for £300, but will I be in the same spot in 6 months time. Would I be better off putting a bit to one side and waiting for a newer model?.... Is anyone out there, using/struggling with a 2015 MacBook?

I run Studio One and do a tiny bit of recording but mostly use it as a practice amp, only other drain is that I use Gimp for image editing (band merch and stuff) but i'm no creative! Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3044
    I've got a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) which I bought s/h. It does not support the latest OS (Sonoma). It seems to run Logic perfectly acceptably for my purposes.

My work machine is a MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports). It is not noticeably more performant than the older machine.

HTH,

R.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've got a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) which I bought s/h. It does not support the latest OS (Sonoma). It seems to run Logic perfectly acceptably for my purposes.

My work machine is a MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports). It is not noticeably more performant than the older machine.

HTH,

R.

Great help thanks
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10418
    edited October 2023
    I have a lot of Macbook Pros and iMac's ... almost all of them from the first Intel model from  2006 to the M1 which came out in 2020 ish. I buy them cheap, repair them and either use them for specific things or sell them on. 

So the unibody MBP was discontinued in early 2012 ... ignore those models 

The MBP Retina model came out in mid 2012 .... these are very good machines and came in 2 main options. The 13 inch  A1502 and the 15" A1398 . These models then ran to 2016 with small changes. 

The last of the A1398 machines with 16Gb ram onboard are very, very good machines with quad core processor, upgradable SSD and great screens. My main one I use everyday is a mid 2012 so the first of this type but it's still fast and lovely to use. 

These models are reliable especially if you get the version with the Intel HD graphics. There is one issue that can happen where the chip that creates the rails for the GPU can suffer from bad joints and needs resolding. I show how to do this in our community repair thread on here. 

The battery for the A1398 currently cost £68 and is easy enough to change, again I show how to do it easily in  our community repair thread on here ... not hack and pry at it like iFixit seem to think you need to do. My 2012 is still on it's original battery which now only lasts an hour and a half but that's still enough for me and despite changing loads of customers I've never changed my own. 

In 2016 they released the Touchbar models of Macbook Pro. These were awful with shit butterfly keyboards that broke and LCD cables that broke because they were too short. All the useful ports were gone and replaced by USB C. Internally and electronically things took a dive with the great Magsafe one wire circuit being replaced by a USB MUX chip that was basically suicidal and would die at the slightest provocation. Fixing it meant scavving a chip from another dead board as it's not something you can buy new. These machines ran to 2020 ish .. I have one but I'm not a fan. 

In 2020 / 21 the M1 versions of the MBP came out. Originally everyone said they were amazing fast and they are at some things but not everything. I've changed screens and boards on these and they are well enough built but it's too early for me to say if they will last 10 years of hard service like the Unibody and Retina models did. 

I don't bother too much about the latest OS or the latest version of an ap. I'm running Logic, Protools and Davinci Resolve on my 2012 Retina  and don't have any issues. I will upgrade my board to a 16Gb 2015 model when I can get one at a good price but it's fine at the moment. 

My advice, either spend a lot on a new MBP with 3 years Apple care or get a mid 2015 A1398 Retina and run Monterey for a few years

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for this, a lot more helpful info than I was expecting!

I think that the one i've got sitting in my shopping basket right now, the site doesnt give model numbers or years but its a 

MacBook Pro Retina - 13.3" - Intel Core i5 2.9GHz - 8GB RAM - 512GB SSD

and is running Monterey so i'm guessing 2015?
    If you can get the serial number you can put it in here and get the year and detailed spec 
    https://everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/

I imagine it’s a A1502 or similar … not as powerful as the 15” A1398 but normally good value 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1108
    @BeardyAndy There's an  Apple Event on Oct 30th where new MacBooks and iMacs are strongly tipped to be announced. Whether this has an immediate effect on some used prices remains to be seen but just something to bear in mind.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9561
    Buy new. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    Wait a few days.
    Apple are releasing new machines on the 30th, which will cause used prices to drop a bit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Where's everyone's go-to website for used Macbooks then? I'm piggybacking off this thread and maybe looking to upgrade my 2013 Macbook Air, which has slowed down considerably after I foolishly updated the OS.
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    edited November 2023
    @AntonHunter  ;Back Market seems to be the big name atm for reconditioned electronics.
  • I’d get an M1 or newer rather an intel mac, you’re almost guaranteed to receive support from Apple (including updates) for a lot longer and the performance difference is notable (I went from a 2018 MacBook Pro high spec intel model to a MacBook Air M1 and the M1 feels snappier and slows down less frequently).

You wouldn’t even need to put much extra cash up. I’m about to sell a M1 Mac Mini and M1 Macbook Air on eBay and I’m expecting to get £400-500 for each (decided to sell both to buy a larger screen MacBook Pro as I’m working on the go more frequently now)
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    edited November 2023
    Go for a new Mac laptop Or MacMini SSD you will be always be playing catch-up with older and used gear.
    If you’re in the UK John Lewis do excellent interest free finance.
    New Mac's are great I'm sure but not everyone feels comfortable shelling out 1K for a computer .. I know I never have and never will. 

As mentioned earlier though either buy old and cheap or buy new. I was offered a 2018 MB Pro for £400 on Friday but turned it down because I know how flakey these TB's can be electronically. Be careful about refurbished MBP's from 2016 to 2020 as there's not much they can "refurb" 

Basically the SSD is soldered on the board, so is the ram. The LCD and LCD cable is one assembly along with the lid and bezel. You can change the battery and that's about it 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • manimani Frets: 10
    I bought an A1398 model after some research and @Danny1969 advice, as a backup machine.  Pleasantly surprised by it's build quilty and spec.  So for < £200 I have 16gb, 512 SSD and a great retina screen.  Mines a very late mid 2016 one, battery wise, currently done 2:21 on the battery with 6+ hours left, light usage of course.  Speed wise beats my Linux box & plenty fast for audio/video. 
  • **UPDATE**

In the end I went for a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017), cost me £495 and I'm really impressed with it. Time will tell I guess but for that money and with 12month warrantee (MacFinder) I figured it was worth a go.

Thanks all for the advice.
  • Those running older Macs may be interested in https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/

I'm running Sonoma on my mid-2015 MacBookPro (11,5).

R.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom