Ceriatone / Orange / Vox???

What's Hot
cm01cm01 Frets: 452
edited October 2023 in Amps
Just after some thoughts on a few EL84 based amps that have popped up near to me in the last few weeks ... I've pretty much always used Marshall sounding amps with EL34's and 6L6's but fancy a bit of a change. 

They're all roughly around the same price (between 350 - 500 quid) so that's not really a consideration - currently I've got these on offer near me:

Ceriatone DZ30 head (and a nice 2x12 cab with a modified G12H30 and a Greenback) 
Vox AC15C1
Vox AC30CC2X
Vox AC30S1
Orange AD30 head
Orange AD30 combo
Orange TH30 head

I'm not so bothered about home use - I'm looking to start gigging again hopefully .. I think the Ceriatone intrigues me the most plus it would be handy to have another cab.  I know I need to go try them out but what would you go for?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    The Ceriatone, if it's built competently, will likely be the best quality of the bunch in terms of components and reliability. Tone's too subjective to judge, but it'll likely sound amazing right out of the gate.

The AC30cc2x, if it's really inside that budget, would be my choice, but hard to recommend to someone else. I mod them quite a lot for tone reasons - stock, they can be pretty bright and harsh. Inside, they're a curious blend of being pretty well engineered in a lot of places but then having issues like dodgy jack contacts, cold solder joints and little switches on the back that go wrong easily. Easy to fix up if you know how but expensive amp tech trips if you don't. They also run valves hard & famously kill rectifiers due to a poorly implemented standby switch, which really needs removing or re-engineering.

I find the Orange "house tone" interesting but a bit one dimensional - they tend to be quite compressed, thick and not very open sounding. So for my taste I'd not go for one of those, but if you were worried about potentially sounding too thin/bright or naked on stage, an Orange is a safer bet.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72369
    The AC30CC2X is a huge-sounding amp, but it’s also huge, and heavy. For me it’s probably going to be the best-sounding of them, although I’m not familiar with the Ceriatone.

I like the Orange AD30, but better as a head and a 2x12” with G12H-30s, and best with a solid-state rectifier fitted, or it does sound overly compressed (especially the combo with the V30).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• PALPAL Frets: 539
    Best advice go and try them and you will find what sound right for you.
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    I get to use the house orange ad30 head and open back 2x12 with 65w g65 celestions (I think) - only use the clean channel and it sounds great - room filling edge of breakup sound that takes pedals really well.

The proviso here is that I think the cab is just as important as the amp head - orange do make good cabs!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 775
    +1 for the Ceriatone as I have 4 of them currently and if put together correctly (they are available to purchase in kit form) they sound amazing to my ears. 

I think Dan from That Pedal Show gigs a real DZ30. 
  • cm01cm01 Frets: 452
    Cheers all - I’ve lined up to try the Ceriatone out this weekend so fingers crossed 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've had a few Ceriatone's (all built by the team in Malaysia) and they've all been amazing amps and amazing value in comparison to more established brands.

Si
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have the AC30S1 and compared to many amps I've had in the past, or even current amps, in isolation it's not the best sounding, but in the mix with the band it cuts through and sounds great. They're also cheaper and lighter than the Ac30cc2.
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
  • DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2368
    Fender Bassbreakers (not the 45) use EL84s.

SH Bassbreaker 15 would be in your price range.
  • Out of your list I'd go for the Vox AC15C1, cos that's what I gig most with, or the AC30CC2X for the extra headroom and the Alnico Blues (although I'm not convinced they sound better than Greenbacks.

I've got a Marshall 2x12 (1962 Bluesbreaker) for bigger gigs, or when I can be arsed lugging it to and from the car, but the AC15C1 is enough for the pub gigs I tend to play. I'm not a fan of the Orange sound, and I've never heard or played a Ceriatone.
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1505
    The AC15C1 is a lovely amp, I really enjoy mine. Clean headroom is limited, but it’s still a one-hand combo that looks the part and sounds ace. Like you, I like Marshalls, and that Vox is the closest I can get to my preferred sound on a Marshall without being a Marshall. And it does other sounds too. The stock reverb is limited though.  
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    If you can grab that DZ30 for under £500 including  the 2x12 buy it that's a steal! I wouldn't sell mine for less than £800 and that's a 1x12 combo (albeit it does have LP Power Scaling) Great amps. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    It’s up for £550 including the cab … didn’t get a chance to try any amps out last weekend, but my Duo Sonic has just sold so now I’m motivated because I’ve got cash burning a hole in my pocket!
    edited November 2023
    Update time… so, contrary bastard that I am, I’ve ended up with this:

It came up for the equivalent of 225 quid and it sounds bloody great!  I’ve only had a quick blast but I’ve got some great tones from all the power settings and it takes pedals like a champ.

As it happened, the guy I bought it off also had an AC15C1 with a Greenback, so I had a quick blast on that as well and that sounded fantastic as well, so I’ll definitely be picking one up when one comes up at the right price.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1505
    cm01 said:
    As it happened, the guy I bought it off also had an AC15C1 with a Greenback, so I had a quick blast on that as well and that sounded fantastic as well, so I’ll definitely be picking one up when one comes up at the right price.
    Happy NAD. 

The AC15C1 is a fantastic amp — I worship mine — but I keep telling folks to try one first if they can to manage expectations. It’s not a little AC30 — it’s got its own thing going on which not everyone likes :-)
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

Another update … this setup popped up locally for a steal, so I managed to sell the Origin and grabbed this for not a lot of cash extra.  The 2x12 cab is bombproof and has WGS Veteran 30’s fitted.  I’ve not had many EL84 amps, but this sounds great - the cab sounds massive.  Only had half an hour to play through it so far so it’ll be interesting to see how it takes pedals.  I might swap the speakers out - I’m not the biggest fan of Vintage 30’s - these sound better than I remember V30’s sounding, but first impressions are that they’re possibly a tad too bright. 

Have to say that the Origin sounded great when I had a blast before I sold it as well, so I can see me picking up another of those in the future!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72369
    If you’re going to change the speakers I would highly recommend G12H-30s, preferably Heritage ones if you can afford it… Orange amps just sound best with them.

You may know this already too, but that’s one of the Oranges where it’s best not to use the standby switch, or it tends to blow rectifier valves. (Or fit a solid-state plug-in rectifier.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    AD30 was my gigging amp for years. Really good amp.
    edited February 25
    Thanks - I had a dig around on the forum earlier and saw your advice to change the rectifier, so I’ll definitely do that.  

I think I might sell the WGS speakers and pick up some G12H-30’s - there’s one for sale locally for around £75 which is reasonable.  The cab is definitely staying, it’s a beast! 
    So, it seems that the Heritage G12-30’s are like hens teeth over here in Aus… I’ve got a Cannabis Rex in a 1x12 cab that’s sounds fantastic, so I’m going to see how that sounds in the 2x12, matched with one of the WGS Veteran 30’s and I also have a few options - for sale locally are:

Celestion G12M Greenback 
    Celestion G12H 30w Anniversary 
    Celestion G12-65 Heritage
    Celestion G12-75 Creamback 
    Eminence Cannabis Rex

Just wondering what pairings people have had success with?  I’m definitely more of a fan of the British / Marshall sound …

I reckon 2 x Cannabis Rex together would sound great - but in all honesty the AD30 definitely sounds better through the current 2x12 with WGS’s than the 1x12 Cannabis Rex.