Back to grades

What's Hot
I was on the grade path for a while - did my 2-4 with RSL- and then got a bit bored and felt like it was a treadmill, so took about 3 years off and just mucked about, learning songs I liked, took the odd lesson, went to some jam days and courses. But now feeling like I need some focus, so I'm going to do the grades again - but this time I'm just going to do the performance certificates, so I get to learn pieces I like but not have to bother with the scales and the sight reading.
Currently stuck into The Boys Are Back...fun!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 291
    I think you’re right to stick to what you enjoy and have fun with it. Playing guitar shouldn’t feel like a chore, and you may find that you become more interested in some music theory as a result of learning the performance pieces.
  • kelpbedskelpbeds Frets: 183
    I teach the Trinity grades and they are all performance based now. You might want to check those out.
    Check out my Blues lessons channel at:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBTSHf5NqVQDz0LzW2PC1Lw
  • drpbierdrpbier Frets: 226
    Thanks @kelpbeds ;, will do!
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 357
    edited December 2023
    I did 6 to 8 10 years ago thinking i'd become a more 'legit' player and ease myself into jazz and whilst I got zero work or gigging opportunities out of it, I'm glad i that I spent the time working through the material.
    Some really valuable and practical stuff around reading music and understanding chord shapes and song forms looking at lead sheets. 
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7344
    I've got the Grade 8 in Rock School, which I always thought people must hear the name and give it absolutely zero credibility.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultM said:
    I've got the Grade 8 in Rock School, which I always thought people must hear the name and give it absolutely zero credibility.
    Was it founded by Fred Flintstone?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7344
    I remember playing a piece called Metal Mania and a jazz style one in 15/16 time, but sadly not Meet The Flintstones.
  • bobaccobobacco Frets: 535
    DefaultM said:
    It does sound like the qualification you’d get if you attended the ‘night school’ in Kane Roberts’ ‘Rock Doll’ video. 

Where do I sign up?

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    I started doing some about 8 years ago, to give some 'focus' as against inane noodling/learning a whole bunch of riffs and licks but no actual, whole songs.

Rockschool did my head in, so I swiftly swapped to Trinity, which at least offered 'known' songs to learn and practise (and be examined on).  Weird thing was the performance anxiety in the exams - I would genuinely tremble, to the extent I fluffed the widlly bits in 'This Charming Man' at G(?)6.

Got through and passed G7, but then knocked it on the head - life stuff, plus the syllabus got far more shreddy than I was or am capable of.

Glad I did it, and I have never played as well as did around the time of my G7 exam.  Skills sadly slipped in the ensuing years.  

Good luck, @drpbier  :)
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • I teach the LCM (London College of Music) and Rockschool grades. They're quite good and offer structure and something to aim for. I do find though they just give you the criteria to pass a test and not actually learnt to play musically, bit like a driving test. Loads of bad drivers out there who have passed their tests but their instructor only taught them how to get through a test, not to drive properly!!