Crackling in Youtube audio when running Amplitube 5

What's Hot
adampeteradampeter Frets: 775
edited October 2023 in Studio & Recording
Or more precisely crackling in any browser audio when running Amplitube 5, made worse  if i move the mouse.
I use Youtube with Amplitube 5 for practise/fun so this is a biggy for me.
Any browser playing audio (youtube/twitter/facebook, etc) crackles very loudly when the mouse curser moves across the player when amplitube is running, but doesn't when amplitube is not running.
No crackle if i'm using say Transcribe! or using playback via the songster site?
Interface is AXE I/O
Tried opening device manager and disabling all non AXE I/O drivers.
tried different mouses, different USB ports, different browsers,
All software/drivers up to date
All of the above is a recent new set up for me, PC is original but interface, software, etc are new
Help
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GoFishGoFish Frets: 1413
    1) What's the last time you used the setup without crackles?

2) Have you got sufficient memory etc?
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • adampeteradampeter Frets: 775
    GoFish said:
    1) What's the last time you used the setup without crackles?

2) Have you got sufficient memory etc?
    1. TBH this has probably crackled since i set it up (although cannot be 100% sure), apart from the PC its all new, just moved into my new study and attempting to play totally through monitors via PC, this problem was highlighted when i attempted to play along to Youtube.
    2. Assume so, 16gb, nothing else running, don't have the issue if i'm playing along to other sources of backing track (songster, etc), i believe songster player is some sort of midi? maybe thats a clue
  • What is the buffer size? I had a similar issue when playing back computer audio on my Focusrite so I changed it to 256 and now it doesn't do it anymore. Might not be related though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    What is the buffer size? I had a similar issue when playing back computer audio on my Focusrite so I changed it to 256 and now it doesn't do it anymore. Might not be related though.
    Its set at 256, 
    These crackles are different to what ive experienced when setting buffer sizes, this isn't the software crackling, its other audio i'm playing to 
    Done a little experimentation to hopefully get some help on this, so i have discovered the following,
    The mouse thing was a red herring, this white noise crackle happens whenever i start to play Youtube clips with Amplitube 5, if i stop the music/clip then the noise stops, it does not happen if i play music through Transcribe or another media player!
    Same happens if i play through monitors or headphones, and any usb on PC and any input/output on the AXE I/O.
    Also happens whether youtube is via webpage or app, although my guess is the app is just a dressed up webpage. 
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2953
    Sounds like a driver conflict. If Amplitube is using your ASIO driver, windows can't use it. That sort of thing. Does it matter which order you start the programs?
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    blobb said:
    Sounds like a driver conflict. If Amplitube is using your ASIO driver, windows can't use it. That sort of thing. Does it matter which order you start the programs?
    My thoughts to, but starting in different ways doesn't help, 
    Using your interface ASIO driver? Audio/Midi>> Output ... or could it default to asio4all or windows audio or something like that?
    yeah i check its ASIO selected, i may try the other drivers tomorrow to see if anything changes
    Good luck. Chasing driver conflicts is fun! Maybe one other thing to try is changing wifi channel if you're hearing wifi interference. Perhaps. Bit straw clutching that one though.
  • Amplitube 5 is very CPU hungry. How old is your PC?
    Amplitube 5 is very CPU hungry. How old is your PC?
    It’s 2019, intel 10th gen i5, which I assume would have the power to cope? But I did think maybe this was the issue, not sure why a clip played on a webpage would eat more cpu than a clip played in a standalone player though?
  • BodBod Frets: 1301
    Nvidia card?
    Bod said:
    Nvidia card?
    No
  • adampeter said:
    Amplitube 5 is very CPU hungry. How old is your PC?
    It’s 2019, intel 10th gen i5, which I assume would have the power to cope? But I did think maybe this was the issue, not sure why a clip played on a webpage would eat more cpu than a clip played in a standalone player though?

It's a better spec than mine and A5 runs ok on my machine, so it probably isn't the issue.

I have an older PC that I still use occasionally and it always had problems with YT. Very often when watching something it would suddenly go into slow motion, both the image and the sound. I would have to re-boot the PC to clear the problem.
    been doing some experimenting/digging, my thoughts are this is a cpu problem.
    The AP5 rigs i was running were fairly complicated, twin amp, etc, more simply rigs improved but didn't stop the problem.
    I think this plus youtube, which i think may be fairly CPU hungry was causing this.
    I downloaded a youtube clip, and played this through an external player i got the problem, so i can rule out the browser.

No proof yet, but a strong hunch 
  • BodBod Frets: 1301
    edited October 2023
    It sounds unrelated to DPC Latency, but have you tried running LatencyMon?  That can help identify resource and interrupt issues.

I had dropout issues that I eventually traced back to CPU power management features.  I switched them off in the BIOS and it's rock solid now.  I also had to make a change in the nVidia control panel, but that's irrelevant in your case.
  • What models are you using on A5? Some are way hungrier than others. The Leslie models and the tape delays were too much for my old machine, and that was with a single amp setup. I tend to use the older models of amps like the ones from the Hendrix collection and they seem ok.