Thinking of selling my Gefell M300..should I?

What's Hot
I acquired a brand new Gefell M300 earlier this year for the home studio. I have only used it 4/5 times and haven't really got around to recording some serious stuff. I had a small studio setup at my previous flat which was right by a busy street and the best time to record was between 1am and 4am. I found it really hard to get into any kind of flow and couldn't bring myself to work around those ungodly times. I have since moved and found myself once again near a busy road, renting a room hopefully for short period.

I am wanting to explore ambient acoustic guitar using pedal effects, looping and perhaps a small synth for pads etc.

Since the 1st lockdown I went into selling mode and sold so much stuff and ended up buying more stuff, 'upgrading' interfaces and buying new mics and got sucked into the endless gear vortex which started me on a habitual buying/selling/buying frenzy which hasnt stopped since. I have had to really improve on my self regulation and stop looking for that next piece of gear thats going to make everying ok...

Anyway, after much time and money wasting and now find myself not quite sure as to whether I should hang onto the Gefell M300 as I may regret selling it or if I should just sell it and put the money into a few pedals. I will inevitably lose money on the M300.

I would love to hear some advice from others who have been down a similar path and are further down the road now and content with their setup. What would you do, sell or put it on the shelf for when the chance arises to use the gear?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    What other mics do you have?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @Winny_Pooh that is the only mic I have. I have 2 acoustics, a Brook Torridge with fishman matrix and a Lowden O10 with K&K mini pickup and a fishman rare earth blend that I retro fit to whichever guitar I am playing. I am thing of focusing more on developing the guitar pickup sound so I can record without external sonic interference and also build a live rig.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    For the style of music you are interested in you possibly don't need the fidelity of an m300.

You could use the rare earth blend for most of what you do.

Will you need hifi capture at a later point? Could you buy other gear without selling it? If you cant and the other gear is better for actual creative expression and writing/finished recordings then do so. It's not an easy decision to comment on from a distance. 
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1945
    The acoustics of the room have such an impact on the end result, IME there is no point in spending a lot on an expensive mic if your room is not great. I’d probably sell it and buy something cheap so you can keep experimenting / learning and maybe buy something better when you have sorted the room.
  • For the style of music you are interested in you possibly don't need the fidelity of an m300.

You could use the rare earth blend for most of what you do.

Will you need hifi capture at a later point? Could you buy other gear without selling it? If you cant and the other gear is better for actual creative expression and writing/finished recordings then do so. It's not an easy decision to comment on from a distance. 

I always like to have a hifi mic when I do get the chance to record acoustic stuff, I also have woodwinds so its great for that. But at the same time I dont have the spare money to invest in other gear right now and I feel I need something to help me continue creating and not worry about noise intereference. I may just sell and perhaps pick up something down the road when I do have the chance to record hifi. I appreciate the feedback, helps me process it:)
  • Lodious said:
    The acoustics of the room have such an impact on the end result, IME there is no point in spending a lot on an expensive mic if your room is not great. I’d probably sell it and buy something cheap so you can keep experimenting / learning and maybe buy something better when you have sorted the room.

This is something that I am becoming more conscious and Im def not in the right place to be able to setup a decent treated space so it seems the best thing is to sell the mic on and get stuff I can work with now. Thanks for the advice:)