Where did all the Gibson basses go?

What's Hot
TanninTannin Frets: 5481
Probably a dumb question, but when I look at film clips from the late 60s and 70s, every man and his dog was playing  short scale humbucker Gibson basses, typically SG shaped ones. Now you practically never see one.

Did everyone get better? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72427
    A friend of mine has a couple - they're actually great, but I can see why they fell out of favour with 'modern' bass players - especially once amps got more powerful and 'less bassy' basses could produce bigger sounds. But I am slightly surprised they haven't come back a bit now amps can properly handle what they do.

I once heard him playing his EB-3 at a gig through a big modern Peavey rig and it sounded absolutely awesome, the kind of low-end you don't just hear or even feel, it's like you're in a space-time distortion or something :). I was walking to the bar after the band had already started playing, and I could hear the bass from literally halfway up the next street... although once inside, it actually wasn't too loud - it just had immense long-distance projection.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14472
    Gibson (and Epiphone USA) bass guitars never sold in the quantities of Fender, Musicman, Warwick, Ibanez or, even, Rickenbacker. They have a small but devoted following. Owners tend to hang onto them.

I have tried (and failed) to get on with the narrow string spacing on Thunderbird basses. I actually did better on a Tokai lookalike with an alder body and a screw-on neck.

I found a vintage Epiphone USA Rivoli Bass cumbersome to wear and the wrong sound for the band I was in at the time.

The only Gibson bass guitar I took seriously was the RD Artist. The Victory series might have been of interest but not for long. I'm too lazy to do the weight training necessary to wear these instruments on a strap.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I don’t know the answer to the question, but I’ve really enjoyed the Gibson basses I’ve played. I genuinely considered buying the 60s EB-2 (2 pickup) I played on holiday in Seattle. 

I wouldn’t pick one over a P bass but as a second great-but-different option they’re brilliant. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Can’t recall the models Krist Nov. in Nirvana played but they sounded fantastic on the live stuff.
    Can’t recall the models Krist Nov. in Nirvana played but they sounded fantastic on the live stuff.
    Gibson Ripper - head ripper, in his case :) - and RD.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PennPenn Frets: 623
    My brother has a couple of Gibson basses. He’s got a Gibson Thunderbird which is sort of normal I guess, the other one he has is a bright red 80s Gibson Explorer Bass. Neither are subtle. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16726
    Recently Gibson said:

"The new Gene Simmons EB-0 Bass is the first 30.5” scale bass from the Gibson Custom Shop and the first bass the Custom Shop has produced in quantity"

I have hopes this may lead to them doing more.  

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10513
    tFB Trader
    I did the odd bass gig with a Gibson Grabber back in the early eighties - really nice to play
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• I've tried a couple, but never owned one.  The necks and scale lengths never felt right to me, and as instruments they just felt 'dead'.   

But then I might have found duff ones.

And a lot of you actually like those clunky old planks that Fender churn out,, so Your Milage May indeed Vary  :- )
    I do like Thunderbirds, but they're pretty ungainly for someone my size - although surprisingly, less so than Firebirds... I think because the bridge is so much further back that the playing position is then quite natural instead of miles over to the left, despite the extra neck length.

EB-2s are just too long for me, the bridge is far too far forward even though the scale length is only 30.5". They do sound absolutely huge though.

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6085
    The Ripper and Grabber models seem to be coming into vogue if YouTube is to be believed.  One of my first basses was an EB0, it was very easy to play but somewhat limited tonally. I tried an SG bass a couple of years ago but it didn't have the same easy feel of the EB0. I'm occasionally tempted to try the 70's EB-0 with the pickup moved away from the neck but common sense always kicks in and I realise that nothing is going to replace my Hofner 185 in my affections.