P-Bass tuned BEAD, problems and benefits??

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4985
Thinking of getting a low cost P-Bass and fitting the lowest strings of a 5 string set, tuned to BEAD.  Is this workable and how much use would I get from the low B string.  I play mainly country, country rock and ballads so is this idea a waste of time and money????  Thanks.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It works and should sound good.  The low B will likely be about a .130 gauge which will work, but will feel comparatively looser than the E string.  That's the same as with any 34" 5 string.

You'll need the nut cut to accomodate otherwise the low B will be too thick.

If you'd use a B string, and wouldn't miss the G string, then go for it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72442
    If you play in a band with a piano player and need the low C, it becomes very useful. The only issue is that the nut grooves will need widening. Everything else will work fine.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24408
    P bass pickups alone are not a great choice for B tuning. The position of the pickup and its orientation means that the B can be really flubby and boomy.

A reverse P pickup is better so the bit for the BE is closer to the bridge but a Jazz type pickup at the bridge is better still to allow for the definition from the B string.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14475
    The vintage-correct passive P Bass pickup is more about low midrange than outright low end. 

How often will you need the low B compared to, say, a low D, C# or C?

If you already have a decent bass guitar, consider investing in a Hipshot X-Tender D-Tuner machinehead. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    edited November 2023
    It should also be noted, as the OP likes Ti Flats, that there are very few flats that work well on the B string. Ti flats are pretty good, Dunlops are ok, but generally a set of rounds will work much better as the note will have some definition.

La Bella, Roto, D’addario flats all have shocking B strings.

Ernie Ball Group flats are very good and are far cheaper than Ti or Dunlops. 

But rounds, even really old and dull rounds will be better. Can always do the hand cream thing to speed up that process.

• The vintage-correct passive P Bass pickup is more about low midrange than outright low end. 

How often will you need the low B compared to, say, a low D, C# or C?

If you already have a decent bass guitar, consider investing in a Hipshot X-Tender D-Tuner machinehead. 
    I was thinking this. A low D and Eflat are more useful in the OPs style of music. So a bass detuned on the E would do. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    Interesting thoughts guys, thanks @fretmeister for your insight about flats -v- rounds. I will try dropping the low E to D and see how that works. Thanks to all who contributed, much appreciated. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Drop D works very well for a lot of stuff. Will probably need a slightly heavier E string though.

I used to use a 110 as a good compromise for E and D tuning.
  • I remember many years ago reading an interview with the bassist from Afro Celt Sound System who explained that he always tuned like this and it struck me as a great idea although it never seems to have been widely adopted. 
    I guess if you play guitar oriented music like blues rock then E standard (or down to Eb) on bass will cover most things but it does seem like a good idea to me. Modern country bands do seem to usually have 5 string basses these days so I think it could be useful for that kind of music. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.