Gibson SGJ finish wear - strip or refurbish?

I have been offered a 2013/14 Gibson SGJ. Large areas of its ultra-thin nitro finish are absent.

Would it be easier to bodge up the existing finish with suitable materials or to strip back to the sanding sealer and build up again?

The guitar body finish is satin brown sunburst. The back of the (maple) neck used to be black.
You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Few options in my mind

If you want to restore back to the original then probably a full strip back will give you the best results.

If you want an easy option the cowboy job then just scuff up the satin and use it as a base coat may be run a sealer over first but I was asked to do a cheap and cheerful respray on a satin brown burst junior to Seafoam Green and I mean cheap so I just scuffed up the satin put a white basecoat and hit it with a few coat of SFG and then a few coats of gloss and, to be honest, it came out way better than I ever expected. The new nitro just melted into the old and the worn areas I just built them up till it was all a nice even coat. I flattened off the SFG before glossing it. The guy only wanted it green for a Paddy's night gig. 

Trying to tidy it up will be more time-consuming and matching stuff than just doing either of the above and probably won't look as good.

Or just lean into the relic worn look and perhaps add some additional tasteful age-related wear. 

Or just live with it in its natural state.
  • If you want a solid colour you can sand back enough just for the surface to be totally level as new nitro will sit happily over old nitro/sealer if the formulas are not weird with each other. Only 2 coats are generally needed to cover the colour underneath. 

You'd only need to go fully bare if you want a burst or transparent finish. 

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14577
    The more closely I examine the guitar, the more strongly I would be tempted to disguise the wear in olive drab. Go for that naff PRS SE Standard camouflage look.

The black and cream '61 model humbuckers have been replaced by covered Burstbucker 1 and 2. These sound okay.

According to some reviewers, the SGJ body is slightly slimmer than regular variants. This is tantamount to being a Melody Maker! 

I could not resist making an A/B comparison between the SGJ and my 1965 mk3. Guess which one rocks harder? 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.