Hybrid picking hand position

Should I be fingerpicking the strings with my wrist cocked and hitting the strings at a 90° angle (like classical style) or maybe keep my picking hand/wrist inline with my lower arm and hit strings at a 45° ish angle? TIA 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8714
    It depends … If I’m also palm muting at the same time then finger position is constrained near 45 degrees. If I’m picking in the middle of the neck for a rounded sound then it’s going to be nearer 90. You really have to experiment to find what works for your hands, and the music style you’re playing.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • That 90° thing is more of an ‘old school’ classical approach these days.

Typically, if I’m hybrid picking, the right hand looks pretty much the same as it does when I’m playing 100% plectrum.
  • That 90° thing is more of an ‘old school’ classical approach these days.

Typically, if I’m hybrid picking, the right hand looks pretty much the same as it does when I’m playing 100% plectrum.
    This. Both points. Very few classical players bend their wrist sideways to play the strings at 90 degrees.

Your tendons will be much happier working in a straight line from your fingers>hand>forearm. Just pick as you normally would and learn to add the fingers, there is no adjustment, providing you already play in a good position.