SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Complete 80W power amp section from Laney GC80 tested working

What's Hot
KeefyKeefy Frets: 2290
I recently acquired a Laney GC80 combo to upcycle into a valve amp. The power amp is in working order and it seems a shame to just strip it for parts. The filter caps appear fine and there is none of the hum you would expect if they had started to fail. I am offering it here for anyone that wants to use it as the basis of a project, or maybe to replace the power section in a dead solid state combo. I will provide a copy of the service manual but you will need decent electronics skills and probably some metalworking ability too!

£25 delivered in the UK.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72508
    You could build that into a plain casing and make a perfect pedalboard power amp.

These are extremely rugged and reliable amps which also sound very good, and loud for that generation of solid-state - the original combo it came from is comparable to a 50W 1x12" valve guitar amp. The power transistors and heatsink are over-engineered for the output power, and even the rectifier has a heatsink - that would be rare to find nowadays. If anyone's worried by what looks like a bulged end on the filter cap nearest the heatsink, it's just the plastic cover having got a bit too warm - a lot of them are like that but I've never seen the cap fail.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    ICBM said:
    You could build that into a plain casing and make a perfect pedalboard power amp.

These are extremely rugged and reliable amps which also sound very good, and loud for that generation of solid-state - the original combo it came from is comparable to a 50W 1x12" valve guitar amp. The power transistors and heatsink are over-engineered for the output power, and even the rectifier has a heatsink - that would be rare to find nowadays. If anyone's worried by what looks like a bulged end on the filter cap nearest the heatsink, it's just the plastic cover having got a bit too warm - a lot of them are like that but I've never seen the cap fail.
    That sounds awesome! 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2290
    ICBM said:

That's exactly the sort of use I had in mind. I meant to say, I have traced the back panel cutouts to help the buyer mark out their enclosure for drilling and cutting.

Also I double checked and the plastic end caps of the capacitors are both flat, you're just seeing a reflection of a ceiling light!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72508
    Keefy said:

I meant to say, I have traced the back panel cutouts to help the buyer mark out their enclosure for drilling and cutting.
    From memory, although the original chassis is cut out for the whole rectangle of the heatsink, you could actually just drill for the bolts and fit the heatsink to the outside - with some thermal paste on both sides of the chassis it will still work effectively enough. That would make the enclosure work much simpler.

Keefy said:

Also I double checked and the plastic end caps of the capacitors are both flat, you're just seeing a reflection of a ceiling light!
    Even better :). Funny how you get optical illusions like that...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Keefy said:

I meant to say, I have traced the back panel cutouts to help the buyer mark out their enclosure for drilling and cutting.
    From memory, although the original chassis is cut out for the whole rectangle of the heatsink, you could actually just drill for the bolts and fit the heatsink to the outside - with some thermal paste on both sides of the chassis it will still work effectively enough. That would make the enclosure work much simpler.

That's true, I actually thought it had been made that way until I took the module out.
    Powerful bump