The boys gone mad, flamin mad..

What's Hot
So in an effort to try and develop some finger style right hand technique I convinced myself I needed a classical/nylon strung beater.
Monday should see the arrival of an Ibanez GA6CE electro classical which seems to have half decent reviews and online shows the plugged in tone to be usable in a band situation if I need it. Not much more than a fancy pedal cost for another sound and maybe I will expand my skill set.
Anyone else done this? Am I simply justifying another guitar in the house or is this insanity (other than buying a guitar untried)!
1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited November 2023
    ESBlonde said:

Anyone else done this? 
    buy a specific "type" of guitar to enhance a particular style ?  only with a "cheap" resonator , 

I "tend" to play the same style/way  which ever guitar I pick up, so anything goes for me
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't know about buying a new nylon strung guitar, but I just cleared out my Mum's house and found my very first guitar, a cheap Spanish one. The bridge has become detached, so I think I'll try regluing it, and find out if the playing experience is as bad as I remember it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Big fan of the sound of a good classical. And nylon (or fluorocarbon) strings are a pleasure to play.

I'm sure your electric playing will benefit, if you stick at the classical and can balance your practice time. 

I've been poor at that since I started mucking about with the ukulele again a couple of years ago. Initially thought it would just be a good way to keep my fingers moving when I was in a rut with the guitar, but I've neglected the guitar enough that the improvements in my right-hand technique are offset by a left hand that's not always willing to engage six-string mode now!
  • Good move how is it going?

www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3589
    Good move how is it going?

So it arrived Monday, my remembrance of the two classical ditties I learned half a century ago was OK but the execution was shonky to say the least. It’s out on the stand all the time so I pick it up every few hours and plink away. The string spacing is taking some adjusting to.
    I have to say the Ibanez is nicely made and tonally lives up to the yootoob reviews especially plugged in. The inside is very tidy and well finished with no huge blobs of glue and the trim is all nice a smooth as far as I can see/feel. The current strings are now becoming more stable in tuning as they stretch and settle, I have a proper set in my “basket” to change next week.
    I did happen upon the video of Tommy Tedesco giving his address at a music college back in the day. He spent all the time with a cheapish classical guitar and a pick playing some incredible stuff and giving tips and tricks, very inspirational.
    I’ve been refreshing and adding to my Christmas play list, I find I’m playing fewer notes in the chords and perfecting the voicings so it’s a good thing. I’m also learning not everything translates to nylon strings!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3589
    So three weeks on I’m enjoying the Ibanez. It sits on a stand mostly, I grab it during the day to play almost anything. I used to play the epiphone acoustic or Gibson ES335 mostly at home, maybe it’s the honeymoon period. It is influencing my playing style in a good way so glad of the small outlay.
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 743
    Classical techniques benefit all styles of playing. Worth getting a few lessons to learn them? You’ll learn lots about left hand especially imho. 

Have fun.