Jason Isbell

What's Hot
LPManicLPManic Frets: 1085
The video of his Austin City Limits is now up on PBS - https://www.pbs.org/video/jason-isbell-and-the-400-unit-ibgdci/

He really is the best around at the minute. Weathervanes one of my favourite albums of 2023. And his HBO doc is fantastic.

Anyone able to rip the mp4 of this ACL show? Pretty please! He is playing his $300k '59 on some of these tunes.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27007
    edited November 2023
    He's just wonderful and the new record is up there with his best. Seems to also be an excellent bloke too. 

I'm keen for some live rips too. I'll see what I can dig up and may rip myself if noone else online has. Will let you know!

And in the last week he's got several Grammy nominations and a new set of teeth, so you'd say he's had a good year :) 

(LOVE that he went for the famous 59 LP before he worried about sorting out the teeth btw...)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1085
    Thanks @stickyfiddle - I'm out of the ripping loop these days. Keep me in mind!
  • LPManic said:
    Thanks @stickyfiddle - I'm out of the ripping loop these days. Keep me in mind!
    Yeah me too tbh. I know how and I'm perfectly capable but can't be arsed if anyone else does it for me... 
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1125
    This is why I love musical discussions like this.  Never heard of the bloke but listening to Weathervanes now and it's really good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2023

(LOVE that he went for the famous 59 LP before he worried about sorting out the teeth btw...)
    Have you seen the new gnashers on Insta? Must YouTube his version of Johnny B Goode he played for Michael J Fox. - EDIT: nothing there yet.
  • LPManic said:

Have you seen the new gnashers on Insta? Must YouTube his version of Johnny B Goode he played for Michael J Fox. - EDIT: nothing there yet.
    Yeah, he's gone from "not bad for an old alcoholic from Alabama" to "holy shit get this guy in more movies..."  Bastard!! :D 

I can't find JBG yet - I'm sure it'll on online soon. Maybe on Twitter but I killed my account so can't search for it. 
  • S56035 said:
    This is why I love musical discussions like this.  Never heard of the bloke but listening to Weathervanes now and it's really good.
    You're in for a treat.  Try Southeastern & The Nashville sound next, then the others. 
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2289
    LPManic said:
    The video of his Austin City Limits is now up on PBS - https://www.pbs.org/video/jason-isbell-and-the-400-unit-ibgdci/

He really is the best around at the minute. Weathervanes one of my favourite albums of 2023. And his HBO doc is fantastic.

Anyone able to rip the mp4 of this ACL show? Pretty please! He is playing his $300k '59 on some of these tunes.
    just play it on your PC/Mac and enjoy at and use your DAW to record at the same time then export as song convert as required
  • Great songwriter and very witty on stage in between songs. There's one bit in his tiny desk concert where he gets someone from the audience to play guitar on the spur of the moment. The subsequent piss-taking is hilarious. 
    My trading feedback thread
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 366
    Leisceoir said:
    Great songwriter and very witty on stage in between songs. There's one bit in his tiny desk concert where he gets someone from the audience to play guitar on the spur of the moment. The subsequent piss-taking is hilarious. 
    “Do you need a capo?”
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • S56035 said:
    You're in for a treat.  Try Southeastern & The Nashville sound next, then the others. 
    Give Decoration Day by Drive-By Truckers a listen too. It's heavier than Isbell's solo stuff, but it's his best contribution to the DBTs and the title track (written by Isbell) is excellent.

Isbell's debut solo album, Sirens of the Ditch, is underrated in my opinion. While not as accomplished as Southeastern or Weathervanes, it contains a few wonderfully melodic songs (plus some fillers). He was in a bad way when he wrote it, but it still hints at his huge potential.
  • mo6020 said:
    Leisceoir said:
    Great songwriter and very witty on stage in between songs. There's one bit in his tiny desk concert where he gets someone from the audience to play guitar on the spur of the moment. The subsequent piss-taking is hilarious. 
    “Do you need a capo?”
    He really should've accepted the offer - the poor guy spent the whole song not knowing what chords to play! 
  • DeftDeft Frets: 30
    LPManic said:

There's a Firefox add-on called 'Video Download Helper' that works for this
    Deft said:
    LPManic said:

There's a Firefox add-on called 'Video Download Helper' that works for this

Yes, was able to rip it last night. Great show.
  • Big fan of Isbell. Stumbled across him in a magazine article (which I found because I was idly reading about expensive Les Pauls), and quickly listened to everything I could (back when the standard Amazon Prime Music was actually any use at all - I've had to actually fucking buy the albums since Amazon ruined it, outrageous).

All of his stuff (whether solo or with the 400 Unit) is great, but Reunions is probably my most-listened.
  • Some legend on Reddit has made mp3s so I don’t have to… :) 

https://www.reddit.com/r/jasonisbell/s/2GwQpYSpip 
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 367
    I was familiar with his work before but I've just listened to Weathervanes uninterrupted on quality headphones. 10/10. Amazing. The new Dylan chair awaits methinks, the lyrics are next level great.
  • His lyrics are what most impresses me- he can write "message" songs that don't sound preachy, songs about "blue collar workin' man" types that aren't hokey, confessional stuff about his own life that isn't self-pitying or navel-gazey... 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Some of his lyrics are fucking incredible. I thought the highway loved me but she beat me like a drum - simple but evocative. It makes me wonder what this character did after he quit college and started acquiring a drinking habit - obviously it could easily be read as autobiographical, but it could easily be the tale of an ex-soldier, or a long distance truck driver, or a travelling salesman.

He's rapidly gone to the top of my list of songwriters, and musicians in general. He's no slouch as a guitarist, either, the slide solo in Children of Children is absolutely incredible.

Time for a repeat listen of Weathervanes, methinks.