Lightbulb moment with jazzy chords!

What's Hot
I’m sat in bed avoiding going to sleep and watching random youtube videos when this video comes up.. I’m nowhere near a jazz guy and definitely NOT a pianist but this video explains the theory so well I had to share! (And also so that I won’t forget to come back to it later)

Looking forward to testing some of these out :) 

https://youtu.be/q-Wb0CsXV6U?si=zfY1rKeS6ITbl5ZG

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TanninTannin Frets: 5499
    Good stuff @hassleham (though the hammy presentation tricks are a bit much for my taste). An awful lot to cover in just one video.

But if your head hasn't exploded yet, I really enjoyed this one tonight, from someone I haven't seen before but will make a point of watching again.

• vizviz Frets: 10708
    edited November 2023
    I really REALLY like Joel McCray, but he does go rather fast, it's not for beginners (and he insists on calling minor tonic chords the "six" chord which I hate); here's an example, and you can see just how natural he is.

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    edited November 2023
    viz said:
    ... but he does go rather fast ...
    It took me a long time to find and start using YouTube's speed adjuster. Listening to someone teaching at 75% speed makes it much easier to follow and have time to think about and let what I am learning to sink in, along with pausing videos so that I can take it in in bite sized pieces.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 745
    To play lots of Jazz Standards at a real tempo, Shell voicings with three notes per chord are easiest. You need to be able to get around the changes at speed. Start at 100bpm then work up to 300bpm for fast Bebop. (Not easy)
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."