Guitar stand - replacement padding

Hi all, I need to replace the SFF (Specially Formulated Foam) padding on my Hercules stand after a cat related incident!
I've contacted Hercules and as I suspected, the stands are manufactured in the far east and shipped over, so no chance of getting the foam from them. The SFF is supposed to not react with nitro like rubber does on cheaper offerings. Does anybody have an idea where I can get hold of something similar? I wonder if Nitrile closed cell elastomeric pipe insulation would be a suitable alternative?
Trade names Kflex, Armacell/ Armaflex. Not sure how I would be able to check reactivity though. 

I'd like to keep the look of the stand, so I don't want to wrap the tubing in old cotton t-shirts or anything that looks rubbish.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• elstoofelstoof Frets: 2498
    I’ve got a few of those thickening sleeves that they provide for basses/narrow necks going spare, not sure if that’ll help?
  • elstoof said:
    I’ve got a few of those thickening sleeves that they provide for basses/narrow necks going spare, not sure if that’ll help?
    Sorry mate, I can't figure out the sort of thing you are talking about. Have you got a picture?
    These things that they come with, you either take off or leave on depending on the neck width

• Ah, yes, I see what you mean now. I think they might be a bit too big. The bar I need to slide them onto is approx, 22 mm dia. Thanks for the offer - it's very much appreciated. 
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1077
    @barnsleyboy if you have a few tools & a bit of wood at hand you might want to take a look at this PDF

It's basically a strip of wood that hooks over the lower arms of your stand with a small depression for your strap button to fit in, thus taking any part of the body/finish away from the stand, Ive made a few and they work really well. GL

• barnsleyboybarnsleyboy Frets: 39
    edited November 2023
    A nice neat idea for single stands, I've got a few of those so I'll give it a go. The stand I want to replace the padding on is the 5 instrument one:

https://andertons-productimages.imgix.net/14717-GS525B_super.jpg?auto=compress&w=673&h=673&bg=ffffff&auto=format

not sure if it will work due to the angles.
    Ah, yes, I see what you mean now. I think they might be a bit too big. The bar I need to slide them onto is approx, 22 mm dia. Thanks for the offer - it's very much appreciated. 
    Could always trim a little off the end so it fit the diameter, then glue it on?