IEM Problem....any suggestions?

What's Hot
We switched to IEM's a while back and have played a good number of gigs using them, and generally speaking all is good with them. However, I use a Fischer Amps IEM pack which is connected to the AUX send from our Soundcraft Digital Mixer and has worked well. Recently however we played a gig at a bigger venue that had pro desk/PA and pro sound guy who definitely knew his onions. However when I connected to his xlr I could hear nothing through my IEMS's. Sound guy tested everything, ie: different XLR cable, different In Ears, different pack, etc, and narrowed it down to a problem with my Fischer pack. Oh well I thought, stage monitors were fine, and I'll just have to get a new one. However at our next rehearsal, it worked absolutely fine (and it worked fine s week prior to this gig I'm talking about). So I'm wondering, is there a glitch with my IEM pack, or could that pro rig have been running something that was just not compatible with my gear. Just curious so as to try to not run into the same problem somewhere else. And given how good/slick the sound guy was, Id find it hard to believe that he had made some schoolboy error at his end. Any ideas?  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10410
    We switched to IEM's a while back and have played a good number of gigs using them, and generally speaking all is good with them. However, I use a Fischer Amps IEM pack which is connected to the AUX send from our Soundcraft Digital Mixer and has worked well. Recently however we played a gig at a bigger venue that had pro desk/PA and pro sound guy who definitely knew his onions. However when I connected to his xlr I could hear nothing through my IEMS's. Sound guy tested everything, ie: different XLR cable, different In Ears, different pack, etc, and narrowed it down to a problem with my Fischer pack. Oh well I thought, stage monitors were fine, and I'll just have to get a new one. However at our next rehearsal, it worked absolutely fine (and it worked fine s week prior to this gig I'm talking about). So I'm wondering, is there a glitch with my IEM pack, or could that pro rig have been running something that was just not compatible with my gear. Just curious so as to try to not run into the same problem somewhere else. And given how good/slick the sound guy was, Id find it hard to believe that he had made some schoolboy error at his end. Any ideas?  
    Generally, with the better quality IEM transmitters there's a headphone socket on the front ... so first thing I do is check that if there's a problem and I think I'm sending it level from the aux sends. 

Cable conversion can throw some engineers ... some try to split a balanced signal from the desk into a left and right but don't realize they need to first convert that into 2 x single ended outputs .. otherwise the IEM's receive 2 signals 180 degrees out of phase which will just cancel out to nothing pretty much in IEM's. 

Hidden mute groups is another trip up ... if the aux sends are included in another mute group then that will mute it but not be obvious 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3673
    edited November 2023
    Are you using a stereo or mono IEM setup? 

If a different pack worked that might suggest there was a signal.
  • …I use a Fischer Amps IEM pack which is connected to the AUX send from our Soundcraft Digital Mixer and has worked well. 
    When you use it with your Soundcraft - which output do you take the signal from?
  • Are you using a stereo or mono IEM setup? 

If a different pack worked that might suggest there was a signal.
    Mono

• …I use a Fischer Amps IEM pack which is connected to the AUX send from our Soundcraft Digital Mixer and has worked well. 
    When you use it with your Soundcraft - which output do you take the signal from?
    From one of the Aux sends. 
  • Thanks for the replies guys by the way
  • I had this on a recent gig I did. If it was a fairly big desk and the stage box has a large number of returns ,it is very easy in the heat of the moment, to plug the lead from your iem pack into the wrong output of the rack and not realise. Especially if you have a mix of wedges and IEMs to sort out. 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • shufflebeatshufflebeat Frets: 105
    edited November 2023

…I use a Fischer Amps IEM pack which is connected to the AUX send from our Soundcraft Digital Mixer and has worked well. 
    Doh!!!

Ok, there are different ways to balance an output signal. Extrapolating from my limited knowledge on the subject I’d suggest that IF your receiver was set to unbalanced L/R input, which I think it can be and IF the Soundcraft was one kind of balanced output and the big desk was the other then that would result in what you observed - maybe.

Explore your receiver and see if there’s an internal switch you can play with.

[edit] just had a look, if it’s the FA mini body pack 2 or similar then it does have that switch, very similar to the Behringer P2 and PM1, which can also cause some confusion.

Doh!!!

Ok, there are different ways to balance an output signal. Extrapolating from my limited knowledge on the subject I’d suggest that IF your receiver was set to unbalanced L/R input, which I think it can be and IF the Soundcraft was one kind of balanced output and the big desk was the other then that would result in what you observed - maybe.

Explore your receiver and see if there’s an internal switch you can play with.

[edit] just had a look, if it’s the FA mini body pack 2 or similar then it does have that switch, very similar to the Behringer P2 and PM1, which can also cause some confusion.
    Thanks, that makes sense. Yes there is an internal switch inside the IEM pack….perhaps that would have solved it. Without boring you with unnecessarily boring drivel, I’m guessing that’s probably what it was (based on something that has happened since). Every days a school day! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• Every days a school day! 
    And for that we are thankful :)