Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Video game graphics has come a long way ...

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28350
Had to laugh at this advert for the game Strarcrash! I'm not sure that the game in that little box on the right is actually 'Starcrash', but it looks hilariously low quality! 

I looked up a few others, here's Skydiver

Indy 500

The somewhat advanced Fishing derby

Entombed

It's quite amazing how things moved on. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• exocetexocet Frets: 1968
    I was never a gamer but I do still recall my brother playing this on a ZX Spectrum around 1983. I was pretty impressed at that stage (having already experienced standard TV games consoles). He was playing this on a B&W monitor - didn't realise it was actually in colour.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19232
    The graphics might well have improved beyond all recognition, but so have the processing & memory overheads, none of which guarantee better gameplay, only better looking images.
    More importantly, isn't that Caroline Munro in the Star Crash ad?  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2823
    Loved Indy500, and Lunar Lander
  • exocet said:
    I was never a gamer but I do still recall my brother playing this on a ZX Spectrum around 1983. I was pretty impressed at that stage (having already experienced standard TV games consoles). He was playing this on a B&W monitor - didn't realise it was actually in colour.

That’s great I never had it but remember the title 
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1497
    edited November 2023
    The graphics might well have improved beyond all recognition, but so have the processing & memory overheads, none of which guarantee better gameplay, only better looking images.
    More importantly, isn't that Caroline Munro in the Star Crash ad? 

Star Crash the film was, and probably still is on Amazon Prime Video, for all your post Star Wars, Italian exploitation, sci-fi, action, needs. Those graphics are actually unerringly accurate to the film.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28966
    I'd rather play Starfield  or Power Washer Simulator than Slap Fight or Outrun or etc etc. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1497
    edited November 2023
    As an aside, I can't think of her without getting the 70s Bond car chase theme (as heard in The Spy who Loved Me) stuck in my head. From 3:10:

Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • Sporky said:
    I'd rather play Starfield  or Power Washer Simulator than Slap Fight or Outrun or etc etc. 

Ladyprettydamned just finished Unpacking - a beautiful pixel art game where you unpack stuff and arrange it in rooms. A wonderful idea executed brilliantly! 

Better graphics would, at best, not improve the experience. At worst, it would utterly detract. 
    I loved Unpacking. I don't want or need tames to model every strand of hair on every character, but almost everything on the C64 or Amiga (or other things of their generations) was actually a bit crap by today's standards.

There is, of course, a shit-tonne of dross these days too. 
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3730
    edited November 2023
    I used to love my 70’s Philips G7000… still got my fave cartridges inc. the programming one which was basically entering assembler directly.

http://www.videopac.org/

11, 30 and 34 were brilliant fun….. at the time.   Could probably create all of them in less than an hour using Scratch today, 

I lived in the world of Elite on the BBC later on and spent plenty of good times with the even more amazing Amiga graphics.  … FA18 interceptor! 

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24588
    edited November 2023

...and that's only the 1080p converted to JPG version.  The original is 4K.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6221
     My all time favourite has aged somewhat..

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I spent hours playing Tomahawk on my Spectrum. The wireframe graphics were state of the art, apparently...

https://youtu.be/k6NhKnL2Llw?si=QCVhhJXbKrlcxU2e
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1391
    Sporky said:
    outrun is damn near perfect, i'd take 10 mins of outrun over almost anything that came out this year. and i'd take 5 minutes of outrun 2 over that!
  • Ha, back then it wasn’t always guaranteed you would get graphics… spent quite a lot of time playing text adventures on an acorn electron!! I think some of the choose your own adventure books became text games.
    the even more amazing Amiga graphics.  … FA18 interceptor! 

FA18 Interceptor was brilliant. 

The I saw it again a year or so ago...
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24588
    Ha, back then it wasn’t always guaranteed you would get graphics… spent quite a lot of time playing text adventures on an acorn electron!! I think some of the choose your own adventure books became text games.
    Leather Goddesses of Phobos anyone?
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • maraudermarauder Frets: 134
    Infocom’s finest
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12468
    Ha, back then it wasn’t always guaranteed you would get graphics… spent quite a lot of time playing text adventures on an acorn electron!! I think some of the choose your own adventure books became text games.
    My young nephews had a Texas machine of some sort (199?) where you could use game cartridges or program it yourself via the keyboard. I once spent a whole day copying an “epic fantasy” program from a book, expecting wonderful graphics and exciting gameplay. All that came up, once I’d corrected all the bloody errors grrrrr, was a text based game. Along the lines of “You meet a troll. Do you want to use a) sword b) dagger c) axe “. Inevitably you’d chose the wrong one and the game promptly ended. The boys were bored within minutes.  FML. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28350
    boogieman said:
    My young nephews had a Texas machine of some sort (199?) where you could use game cartridges or program it yourself via the keyboard. I once spent a whole day copying an “epic fantasy” program from a book, expecting wonderful graphics and exciting gameplay. All that came up, once I’d corrected all the bloody errors grrrrr, was a text based game. Along the lines of “You meet a troll. Do you want to use a) sword b) dagger c) axe “. Inevitably you’d chose the wrong one and the game promptly ended. The boys were bored within minutes.  FML. 
    Yeah, but those text based games were amazing when they were all we had!