Fooled around...

What's Hot
GulliverGulliver Frets: 850
...and fell in love.

For my voice, I sing it in C, so the chords are:   |:  C  |  Em  |  Bb  |  F  :|

When looking to solo over it, I'm using Cmajor for the C, Em and F - for the Bb I've shifted to Bb.  This works fine, but I'm wondering if there's anythign more interesting I could do?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10708
    That works well. But this is a good trick to try:

Forget about thinking of the scales or chords or keys that fit the chords; put the guitar down, and try and sing melodies (ie tunes) that have beauty and simplicity in themselves, that are consonant with those chords. You may find that there are little motifs and turns and themes that build, or repeat, or bring to a nice conclusion, even as the chords shift underneath.

Then try playing it on the guitar. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • viz said:
    That works well. But this is a good trick to try:

Forget about thinking of the scales or chords or keys that fit the chords; put the guitar down, and try and sing melodies (ie tunes) that have beauty and simplicity in themselves, that are consonant with those chords. You may find that there are little motifs and turns and themes that build, or repeat, or bring to a nice conclusion, even as the chords shift underneath.

Then try playing it on the guitar. 
    I wiz you 3000 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2418
    The obvious thing you have with that chord sequence is a descending series of semitones running C - B natural - B flat - A, so maybe try that as the basis for a solo or melody?
  • I think Am and C mixolydian would work over those chords but that's pushing the limits of my knowledge so please let me know if anyone thinks differently... :#
    "I've got the moobs like Jabba".