Comments

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    Oh, I didn't realise the Lewitts were actually cheaper than the Line Audios.

Assuming the specs for both mics are correct, the Lewitts are 4dB noisier than the CM4s. That may be an issue if you're recording very quiet fingerstyle guitar, but probably fine in most circumstances. Other than that there's not much to choose between the specs-wise.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Vote for the Shure SM81s. I have these and they really do sound good.
    I need a better stereo bar though. The Rode one I have just isn't long enough to do the 14th freth and bridge config I think sounds best. Recommendations on that welcome.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    Vote for the Shure SM81s. I have these and they really do sound good.
    I need a better stereo bar though. The Rode one I have just isn't long enough to do the 14th freth and bridge config I think sounds best. Recommendations on that welcome.
    K&M. Or you could just angle the mics outwards.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited November 2023
    One stand and a stereo bar is so much more simpler, isn't it... 

I think I'm going for the Lewitt 140. 
    It has the air option but also pad and bass cut. The EQ looks like that of the KM184 
    Line audio CM4 EQ is flat as a pancake, more bass - but more bass than an acoustic would give out, anyway. 

Argh somebody just bought that LCT140 pair 

LCT140 - as noted, slightly noisier (20dB) but air button so can switch between flat / coloured. Cheapest. 
    SE8 - lowest noise (13dB) and coloured.
    Line Audio CM4 - flat with extended bass, no switches, 16dB noise (middle ground). 
    --> Think will go for the LCT140
  • Any of those three should work. Many eq differences can be resolved with placement. 

One more option.... buy a single SE8 & LCT140 then see which you like. Then return what you dont like and buy a 2nd of that which you do.
  • A good suggestion but think will keep it simple, get one and be done with it. :)
    edited November 2023
    Decided on the LCT140 - got it at a great online retailer for £99. They also said not to bother with shock mount so I left that alone for now. 

Did consider stereo pair but I'll use my LDC for AB/spaced recording instead. I'm sure the Line Audio is great but I like the simplicity of the LCT140 and the air button so less need for EQ. Also for £99 that's pretty damn good considering the reviews.

The only other one I seriously thought about was a KM184 but at £600 and me just doing bedroom recordings, I'll give it a miss.

Thanks for all your input
  • Decided on the LCT140 - got it at a great online retailer for £99. They also said not to bother with shock mount so I left that alone for now. 

Did consider stereo pair but I'll use my LDC for AB/spaced recording instead. I'm sure the Line Audio is great but I like the simplicity of the LCT140 and the air button so less need for EQ. Also for £99 that's pretty damn good considering the reviews.

The only other one I seriously thought about was a KM184 but at £600 and me just doing bedroom recordings, I'll give it a miss.

Thanks for all your input
    How's it going with the LCT140?
    edited December 2023
    @Vintage65 it's sitting in its box - haven't had a chance to try it out yet...  However I'm glad I didn't spend £500+ ... That would have been a bit much for my purposes!
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 335
    edited December 2023
    @Vintage65 it's sitting in its box - haven't had a chance to try it out yet...  However I'm glad I didn't spend £500+ ... That would have been a bit much for my purposes!
    Let us know how it sounds when you get around to it. I'm in a similar situation, except I am looking for a cheapish stereo pair. I usually record my acoustic guitar in mono, but I was intrigued by the number of Line Audio comments, so after a bit of googling I came up with this YouTube channel that has switched to CM4 mics for their latest demo videos. I'll post it here for reference in case anybody stumbles upon this thread in the future, and the first dozen or so videos are using the CM4 with X/Y spacing.

• Will do.. just been consumed with work of late. Yeah I think the CM4 meant to be great. Can't make a bad choice imo. 

Loved the Larrivee in this video lol

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2023
    Will do.. just been consumed with work of late. Yeah I think the CM4 meant to be great. Can't make a bad choice imo. 
    Are you going to try X/Y later? You are already halfway there 
  • Going to try spaced "pair" with my Rode at some point but away for the holidays for weeks :) I reckon don't need that extended bass of the CM4... And I like the air switch on the LCT140 (from demoes, at least...) - immediate good sound with a frequency bump similar to KM84 iirc. For £99 just didn't think could go wrong, especially just for home project.
    edited December 2023
    So I got the mics out today to test and lo and behold, my interface only works with ONE phantom-powered mic at a time. 
    Grrrrr....

--> Any recommendations for a good but relatively inexpensive interface which can power two mics with 48V at the same time? 
    If the Focusrite 2i2 can power two mics I'll end up getting that - the 4th gen specs look good. 

Also... if I end up using this then will I need specific software other than my DAW? 
    I.e. right now I use Line 6 Gearbox which came free with my UX2 interface. 
    I open that up and it allows me to colour the sound however I want. 
    Or is it the case I just go straight into the DAW? 
    What a pain.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3691
    So I got the mics out today to test and lo and behold, my interface only works with ONE phantom-powered mic at a time. 
    Grrrrr....

--> Any recommendations for a good but relatively inexpensive interface which can power two mics with 48V at the same time? 
    If the Focusrite 2i2 can power two mics I'll end up getting that - the 4th gen specs look good. 

Also... if I end up using this then will I need specific software other than my DAW? 
    I.e. right now I use Line 6 Gearbox which came free with my UX2 interface. 
    I open that up and it allows me to colour the sound however I want. 
    Or is it the case I just go straight into the DAW? 
    What a pain.
    @thomasross20  would something like this https://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/SubZero-Phantom-Power-Supply/1RLW?origin=product-ads&gad_source=1 be a cheaper alternative?

I’m all for buying new gear though so don’t let me put you off a new interface :)

I’m also new to recording so someone who knows what they are talking about will be along soon to tell us why it’s a bad idea. 
    edited December 2023
    Hmmm.... that might work. I think. 
    TBH I think I need a new interface  
    The great thing about the Toneport UX2 is that the software bundled with it allowed me to record, done. 
    If I get a dedicated interface, I think I have to buy all the filters etc I need. 

SO!! 
    I tried using the Lewitt today and unfortunately, it is making a terrible humming noise. 
    When I switch to my Rode NT1 with the exact same setup, I have zero issues. 

--> It has been 4 weeks since I bought the Lewitt so I'm not sure I can get a shop refund. 
    --> I have emailed Lewitt with an audio file which shows up the noise and have asked about diagnosis / refund / replacement. 

Very disappointing TBH, I got up especially on my day off (early) to test this out. Wasted two hours.

• Very disappointing TBH, I got up especially on my day off (early) to test this out. Wasted two hours.

You’re looking at this the wrong way round. You’ve invested two hours and if you end up learning something then it’s a worthwhile investment.

At least I hope so, otherwise I’ve wasted about 40 years on this crap.

:)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Very disappointing TBH, I got up especially on my day off (early) to test this out. Wasted two hours.

You’re looking at this the wrong way round. You’ve invested two hours and if you end up learning something then it’s a worthwhile investment.

At least I hope so, otherwise I’ve wasted about 40 years on this crap.

:)
    I learnt from this thread that I should probably get a Line Audio CM4 stereo pair  :)
    edited January 5
    @Vintage65 ;;
    I think both are really good. My issue was my interface, not the mic.
    Not saying you are discounting the Lewitt based on my earlier "issue"
    I think the Lewitt and Line Audio are both fantastic for the price. 
    I'm glad I didn't spend £500+
    edited January 5
    @Vintage65 ;;;;;;;;;;
    I think both are really good. My issue was my interface, not the mic.
    Not saying you are discounting the Lewitt based on my earlier "issue"
    I think the Lewitt and Line Audio are both fantastic for the price. 
    I'm glad I didn't spend £500+
    Both brands were new to me when I joined this thread. My preference is based on the video I posted above, as I like how the CM4 mics sounded on the strummed Dreads using a X-Y stereo pair. I also like how it's one bloke in Sweden building them by hand in his shed/garage 

BTW, are the Lewitt's working now?