• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7422
    He tried a bunch today. These 3 all met with various favour:

Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2768
    Nice - is that Guitar Village at Farnham?  That Taylor looks lovely 
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 233
    I'm intrigued by the Eastman's, having heard good things about them but never tried them.
    Also I don't see how you can go wrong with a Taylor.
    Now all yo have to do is decide! 
     ;)

sev112 said:
    Nice - is that Guitar Village at Farnham?  That Taylor looks lovely 
    Yep. It’s a long way from us but a lovely shop.
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Not that we were there for me but I surprised myself by REALLY liking the secondhand Faith Mercury they have - my lad liked the sound but not the neck. 

I also really liked the strummed sound of a mid priced Takemine cutaway dread - it was epic (if a bit dead fingerpicked)

I’d got to the point of “ok I don’t want to steer him now - one of these can come home for Christmas but only if I’m confident he’s made an active decision to prefer one) when it all got a bit odd - we got kind of hustled out of the shop. Ok we’d been there a good hour and a half and tried LOADS of different things but it still felt strange. Chap came in to us (we were in the Taylor room with our preferred 3 by that point) and was all “well I’m sure it’s all very confusing, everything is online so you can go away and have a think and look at your pictures” I said we’d not taken any pictures so he took the Taylor off my lad, lined them up and encouraged said pictures. Then we left (after a brief ogle at expensive electrics on the wall while I tried to work out if that had just really happened) 

It was really discombobulating. It was only my 4th ever trip to GV and I’d never had that vibe there before. (2 of those times I’ve bought an acoustic, this was going to be the 3rd) 

The other 2 blokes were fantastic - very helpful.

Anyway, unless something odd happens he may still well end up with one of these via family-sourced Xmas present funding. It was still a good trip. 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I like the look of that sunburst? Tobacco? Eastman for 599 on the tag. What size model is it,concert,parlour or a touch bigger?
    I like the look of that sunburst? Tobacco? Eastman for 599 on the tag. What size model is it,concert,parlour or a touch bigger?
    It’s a 00 

The other Eastman is an OM

The Taylor is a 214 Koa 
    Red ones are better. 
  • TimmyO said:
    I like the look of that sunburst? Tobacco? Eastman for 599 on the tag. What size model is it,concert,parlour or a touch bigger?
    It’s a 00 

The other Eastman is an OM

The Taylor is a 214 Koa 
    To be fair,based on different pieces I've read,a 00 could be termed as either concert or parlour. My parlour is the next size down from my concert so I'd assume Fender at least dont call a parlour a 00?
    That Eastman really looks nice though whatever they name its size.
  • I do love a sunburst!

https://ibb.co/GRR7SW1

Was going to recommended the usual but prices creeping up and I remember you had trouble with one in past.
  • I do love a sunburst!

Was going to recommended the usual but prices creeping up and I remember you had trouble with one in past.
    Looks lovely but way above my guitar budget range.
    I do love a sunburst!

Yeah I once bought a secondhand Larrive OM-10 and it arrived with a lifted bridge. To be fair the shop took it back and refunded me (then put it back on sale) - didn’t put me off the brand, maybe the shop 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I think I’m going to get him the 00 (which he’ll contribute to) - the Taylor is too much right now 
    Red ones are better. 
  • @TimmyO aahhhh I remember now, yes! I have yet to play a Larrivee rosewood. Great you got the refund on that. 

Good choice on the OO... I think that will be the best of the bunch tbh
  • ShadowShadow Frets: 72
    @TimmyO pm'd you.
  • It sounds like the guy in GV may have been the same one I spoke to on the phone yesterday.  Whoever it was was extremely brusque, and appeared to want me off the phone as soon as possible.  Other than to enquire about availability (it was listed as 'pre order') I never had a chance to ask any questions about the guitar I was interested in either!  He simply told me to buy it online and then when it came in they would ship it to me.  He then abruptly ended the call! 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah one of them is a bit brusque. The other guys are pretty good.
  • UngulateUngulate Frets: 223
    Yeah one of them is a bit brusque. The other guys are pretty good.
    Shit....I was thinking of heading there on Monday to try some OM/000 style instruments....I'll pick my salesman carefully!  :/
    <update> I ended up ordering him the Eastman 00 from GV (bit far to drive back and do it in person) - will look to add a pickup at some point in the future for him. Expect a thread at that time... 
    Red ones are better. 
  • ditchboyditchboy Frets: 298
    edited December 2023
    My Larry in the classifieds if anyone is still looking. It’s brand new pretty much and is a big saving. It’s the one thing I need to sell to get myself a cs strat. I have a lovely OM28 that deserves to be played so can’t justify having two nice acoustics. 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    ditchboy said:
    can’t justify having two nice acoustics. 
    lame

;)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom