Takeharu Classical

What's Hot
Del_PrestonDel_Preston Frets: 76
edited November 2023 in Acoustics
Hi knowledgeable fretboarders… I’m looking for a bit of info on this classical guitar that has been in the family for many years.  Obviously Japanese… made in the 70s I believe?  Are they considered well-made guitars?  I’m looking to move it on as I don’t play classical, so any guidance on what might be an appropriate value to list it for would be appreciated.  Many thanks.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PennPenn Frets: 620
    Suzuki? They made lots of guitars didn’t they? Maybe - bit like the Besson being made by Framus? 
  • Some of those Suzuki guitars are quite good but not worth a lot of money. I bought one on a trip to Cambodia for $100.
  • Some of those Suzuki guitars are quite good but not worth a lot of money. I bought one on a trip to Cambodia for $100.
    The fact this one is decades old and Japese built would add value,maybe?
  • malcolmkindnessmalcolmkindness Frets: 164
    edited November 2023
    Some of those Suzuki guitars are quite good but not worth a lot of money. I bought one on a trip to Cambodia for $100.
    The fact this one is decades old and Japese built would add value,maybe?
    The one I bought in Cambodia was from the seventies and Japanese built. I found myself in Phnom penh trying to hire a guitar and this one was offered to me for $1 a day or $100 to keep it. I thought it was good value, but I wouldn't expect to sell it for much of a profit.
    This one looks in good condition and might fetch more in the UK.
  • Del_PrestonDel_Preston Frets: 76
    edited November 2023
    Yup, looks like it was made in the Suzuki violin factory along with a few other models, including a Hummingbird knockoff, and a full Brazilian Rosewood model.  It’s mahogany back and sides.  Takeharu was the name of a popular Japanese guitarist from the 1920s.

Having had a look around, I might try it at £200 and see how we go.  Thanks all.
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 742
    That looks fun.

Guitars like that were so many players intro to the guitar in 1970’s. Some of them have good tone and playability. You’d have to put it in the hands of an experienced classical player to hear what tone is in it. 

Make sure there’s no cracks or major dings. Sight down the neck to make sure no twisting of neck. 

Good starter guitar for someone if in decent nick!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks David, yes, it’s all in good shape… just needs restringing.
  • GTCGTC Frets: 263
    I see the model is a G85. I came across a video on YouTube of someone playing an arrangement of Bohemian Rhapsody on one - and it sounded pretty good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0btZZxok-s&t=91s
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7226
    edited November 2023
    If that's the Rexine bag it came in, the material is as telling as the actual guitar.  Probably mide 70s - early 80s.  I have a "Made in Japan" classical guitar branded as "Cordoba" (not to be confused with the modern Cordoba Guitars company) that was bought around 1980 and was probably made around 1978.  The label inside youre guitar show a model number G-85, and also what looks like a production date of 1974, and a serial number 45?91?

Mine came with a similar Rexine sack with plastic handle and the guitar has much the same factory produced build with the rosette decal, slightly rough and unfinished inside edges on the top ends of the cut-outs that still has some buffing compound on them.  The frets will likely be a slightly "brassier" colour than more modern silvery fret wire, and I would guess that the fret ends on the inner part of the arc of the fretboard at the soundhole will be a bit sharp.

If that is a crack on the plastic barrel for the High E tuning head, then that will be a very noticeable deduction of points from a value, and it might take less of a hit if you replaced the tuners with new ones of the same style that have the same screw hole spaces or where the new plate will cover the old screw holes.  Most of those guitars were very well made despite being churned out of the factories in quite large numbers, and if the guitar is made from all solid wood it would definitely put it into a higher price bracket than the ones that end up in charity shops or cash converters and are then sold for between £80 and £100.  The Suzuki pedigree will make it more attractive to buyers than an OEM brand, as will the magical "Made in Japan" on the label.  The fact is that there were very few countries making acoustic guitars like that en masse in the 70s and 80s, but Japan always fares better in desirability now than Taiwan when it comes to name-dropping of factories and areas.

It's hard to see whether the top is spruce that's taken on a darker hue over the years (lacquer and / or wood darkening), or cedar which is naturally darker than spruce, but it's most likely to be a solid wood top.  I think it is cedar.  Try and look for a grain pattern on the inside of the back and sides that is carried through to the outside to determine if it is solid wood or laminate.  It might not be easy, because the mahogany is quite straight and fine grained.  The headstock veneer, fretboard and bridge are rosewood.

Apart from what looks like a crack in the tuner barrel, I would tart it up a bit by polishing any tarnish off the frets, buffing the fretboard, applying some fretboard oil, and giving it a good rub with a soft cloth to give it a better overall appearance for photos.  I would probably advertise it for £250, saying it is priced for a quick sale and comes with the original 1974 Rexine bag, and no offers accepted.  If the tuner barrel is cracked and you spend £25 on a new set, refer to them as upgraded tuners but originals will be supplied.  Even if you did entertain an offer of say £225 I think you would still be getting an OK price.  I can't see many buyers wanting to go up nearer £300 though.

DO NOT be influenced by this clown's outrageous descriptions to try and justify £500:
    The fact that "Kiso-Fukushima is famous for producing the finest custom, handmade guitars in the world!" doesn't necessarily mean that your Takeharu G-85 made by the Suzuki company is one of the finest guitars in the world. It's more like what an Epiphone is to Gibson.  The fact that he says it was used on an upcoming album means nothing, and neither does the fact that quite a few YouTube musicians have videod themselves playing classical music on it.  Musicians with expensive guitars often own cheaper guitars and play them.  A guitar is not "RARE" if a quick Google on the model number throws up dozens of sale listings.  It might be a "Suzuki-made" guitar from a sought after era that guitar players are on the lookout for as they become a bit rarer (74 model being "rarer" than a 78, etc), but it's not £500 worth of guitar.  I see somebody is selling one on Gumtree for £250 and has actually quoted the blurb by Essex Recording Studios!

There MAY be some additional information to bolster your own sale blurb on these blogs:

These are only my personal opinions and observations.  Others' opinions may differ.  Also, excuse any transposed "o's" and "i's".  The letters have worn off some of my keyboard keys and I can't touch type
    headstock.jpg 257.7K
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Many thanks for taking the time to write that Bill, much appreciated.  I’ll check the tuner barrel for a crack, well spotted.  Yes, it’s definitely overdue a bit of tlc in regards to fretboard and frets.  I think that must be the original bag.

The Essex Recording Studios listing is definitely entertaining, as always!  Who knows, maybe he’ll single-handedly drive the price of 70s Japanese acoustics up… I won’t hold my breath.  Thanks again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 742
    Just to agree with @BillDL comments. A good classical player can get great sounds out of most reasonable classical instruments.

This is annoying to we non-cognoscenti! But it does mean the sound is there. It doesn’t mean the instrument is “great” though. For me, an instrument is “great” when a good player says so. By which they are implying it is above average and an outlier in the spectrum of excellence. 
  • GTCGTC Frets: 263
    DavidR said:
    Just to agree with @BillDL comments. A good classical player can get great sounds out of most reasonable classical instruments.

This is annoying to we non-cognoscenti! But it does mean the sound is there. It doesn’t mean the instrument is “great” though. For me, an instrument is “great” when a good player says so. By which they are implying it is above average and an outlier in the spectrum of excellence. 
    Agreed. I remember seeing the late Julian Bream with a group of students. One of them said something like "It is OK for you  - I've just got this cheap guitar". So - he picked up the student's cheap guitar - and made it sing.