NGD - 1979 Fylde Orsino (And a mic Question for it)

I did not want to buy another acoustic guitar, but wandering into Richtone Music in Sheffield. this guitar at had other ideas. 

A 1979 Fylde, Cedar top, Honduras mahogany back and sides. Just stunning, it's like there's no delay between the fingers/pick hitting the string and the sound blooming out, gently played it shines, and doesn't lose it when dug in. Compliments my 2005 Lowden F25 very well. As I found out when 3 hours after purchase, i was gigging with it. No pickup, so just a condensor 2" off the 16th fret. 

Which leads me to a quandry. It's never had a pickup, and I feel loathed to put one in for live use; there are a number of clip on mic systems, the DPA 4099, Audio Technica ATM350GL, T.Bone Ovid/Lucan and Neumann MC114. Does anyone have any experience and recommendations? 

Right, back to having a little play, not been able to put it down!

Lots of Nice Guitars, and not enough pedals!
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    edited November 2023
    Great looking thing! 

A fishman rare earth blend with the jack trailing out would work. Some of the LR Baggs like the m80 have a mini jack into the pickup itself. Best for feedback rejection.

To answer your initial question I have an audio technica AT831 for my gypsy jazz guitar and it sounds fantastic, although the clip position on the soundhole will be crap for some strummers. I've heard good things about feedback rejection but not played it live. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Great looking thing! 

A fishman rare earth blend with the jack trailing out would work. Some of the LR Baggs like the m80 have a mini jack into the pickup itself. Best for feedback rejection.

To answer your initial question I have an audio technica AT831 for my gypsy jazz guitar and it sounds fantastic, although the clip position on the soundhole will be crap for some strummers. I've heard good things about feedback rejection but not played it live. 

Yeah the fishman rare earth blend is an option. I've a friend who has 4 Fyldes, and that's what he uses on them all. My Lowden has the Matrix Blend system, so tonally it would be similar. Never been too taken with the LR Baggs sound. 

That's an old school way of micing a guitar, a Lavelier clipped to the sound hole! The ones i mentioned above, are all that basic principal, but with a gooseneck and a clip, so less invasive than a soundhole pickup. I'm in no huryy, very happy to stand/sit static with a condensor in fron tof me, just can't bound around the stage like that. And for noisier environments, the Lowden works for nor. But definitly more to ponder, thank you!
  • Found another odd ball mic, that sounds great, but looks, well, it's not discreet!

The SE GM10

• I remember those! Let us know how you get on with it. I'd start with it positioned around where a neck tone knob would sit on a Les Paul and shooting toward the soundhole. Would lack a tiny bit of bass there (good thing live) and give a mid push. 
  • Congratulations on the new guitar. I've got an Orsino (1990s) and it's a great instrument. I have mine fitted with a Fishman Matrix pickup (which I use with a Fishman Aura pedal) which works pretty well, but it sounds like that's not what you're after. I don't have a recommendation for a mic pickup, but one thing to remember (if your guitar is anything like mine) is that these tend to be very resonant. Obviously this is part of why they sound good, but it can make them prone to feedback if the stage volume is a bit loud. I've had mixed results with mine but I've really had to work on trying to eliminate feedback. It's worth it because it's a great guitar, but worth bearing in mind when you're considering pickups.