NGD - nearly

What's Hot
Well my mate and I were chatting on the way home on the train and he offered to sell me back my Guild. I've been angling for this for years but he finally cracked (wife pressure and a dicky 3rd left hand finger probably did it).

I originally bought the guitar from the music cellar in Preston (not exactly a guitar hot spot - known better for selling woodwind). It was second hand then and had a small repair on the upper bout side. It was a great guitar but I was short of cash at the time (can't remember why) so I sold it. I always regretted that.

When it returned it was a little the worse for wear but a dose of lemon oil on the fret board and the bridge as well as a dose of polish to the gloss made a huge difference. I'm currently trying to run in a new set of strings and the instrument sounds like it hasn't been played in years. I'm hoping for the sound I remember - but who knows.

The other problem is fret wear. It may need the upper frets repiaced. Let's wait and see.

Following information here I looked up the serial number. It is an American D6 guitar made on 1989 if I read the serial number correctly. Watch this space.
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The upper frets need replaced? That's odd on an acoustic, isn't it? Few players play much past the 12th fret.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5450
    ^ I suspect @TheMadMick means the lower frets. 

Guild D6 according to a quick search was made between 1992 and 1995 at the old Westerly factory (New York). Sitka Spruce top, Mahogany back and sides, dreadnought with no cutaway. 

US-made Guilds are always good stuff. No reason this one won't come back to life with a new set of strings and some good solid playing. 

I don't know about the science here, but I'll eat my boots if it isn't true that guitars can lose their way if you don't play them. Play it lots and it will remember what it's supposed to sound like. So will you!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ^^^^

It's like whether you turn the mouse wheel clockwise or anticlockwise to shift up the screen - PC Vs Mac. The frets from 1 to around 7 ish.

It's starting to open up nicely. The balance one would expect from a mahogany B&S. Starting to love it all over again.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom