Help in (possibly) moving towards a Quad Cortex/Monitors based set up

What's Hot
I've had a bit of a search on here and haven't been able to find what I'm after (but if the answer is in another thread, please point me to it!). 

I've always played through amps and latterly through a quad cortex and a cab. Given I have a brain like a sieve, when I'm practicing I've found myself recording myself through Logic Pro (connected by USB) from the QC, which gives me an ability to go back and work out when I've accidentally got something right. 

As time as gone on, I've started wondering about properly setting up the QC to work with the computer and a set of monitors/headphones. Not least as 2 young kids and night time practice. I've never really engaged with this as an approach, so I've got a very limited understanding of how everything works, so sorry in advance for the silly questions! I've had a bit of a google and it's fair to say everyone has a slightly different view, so scratching my head. 

So, my questions:

1) For this set up, is the Quad Cortex into the laptop via USB the optimal approach? Or is a proper interface the better approach? (should add, where I have played around with recording, I've liked to have the option for stereo)
2) What's the best way to connect a pair of studio monitors? (in either scenario)
3) Similarly for headphones?
4) Any tips for latency reduction?
5) What else have I completely forgotten to ask about that you'd remember?

Computer-wise, as a reformed photographer, I've got plenty of grunt to power this, so it's the periphery bits that I'm wondering about. 

Thoughts and comments would be very gratefully received. Thank you!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FozzFozz Frets: 62
    Hey, I've recently made a similar move myself so will try and help. I'm using windows and helix though, assume you are on Mac, so might not be 100%!

1) Using the quad cortex directly over USB is fine - it is an audio interface in its own right. I wouldn't suggest you'd need a separate interface unless you start adding vocals and other instruments. Don't think stereo routing and recording would be an issue with this set up either.
    2) So, on windows, I'd just set the ASIO drivers to the Helix and connect balanced TRS directly to that - assuming it would be something similar on the Cortex - alternatively if you were just messing about with Logic, you could use a 3.5 jack with a line splitter and run that to your speakers. I've got the Presonus Eris and they're great little speakers for size of desk I've got.
    3) Again, either via the QC if using that for sound output or directly to the Mac - one thing to look out for is headphones for studio work tend to be higher impedance, so need more driving to get volume - think the M1 MacBooks have a new high impedance jack socket, but worth checking. Would imagine QC would have no issues driving higher impedance headphones. 
    4) With this setup, where all the processing is being done on the QC, I wouldn't worry too much about latency - just reduce your sample sizes appropriately. Where latency becomes more problematic is using software to process the signal (with something like Helix native) - the more you're asking of your computer, the more likely you are to get crackles etc. and would have to increase your buffer size.
    5) I genuinely think working in this way can make you a way better musician - to that end, I'd try to refocus yourself away from just being a guitar player into a musician (as pretentious as that sounds) - get a midi controller (they can be super cheap) and use some of the inbuilt sounds in logic to make beats, baselines and chords - it's an absolute blast, and music theory makes so much more sense on a keyboard! 

Good luck - hopefully more Mac familiar people can jump in if I'm not right on anything. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom