Advice on changing Magnets in a P90 pickup.

What's Hot
I've bought a few different mags from Alegree pickups and want to change them in my P90's.
Firstly do the mags need to touch the screws that run through the pickups and what about the polarity of the mags do they need to run in the same direction?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7038
    edited November 2023 tFB Trader
    The screws go into a metal keeper and the magnets should touch that, like poles facing. This does of course mean they try to push apart.
    https://www.stewmac.com/video-and-ideas/online-resources/learn-about-guitar-pickups-and-electronics-and-wiring/p-90-pickup-kit-with-vintage-style-bobbin/
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    The screws go into a metal keeper and the magnets should touch that, like poles facing. This does of course mean they try to push apart.
    https://www.stewmac.com/video-and-ideas/online-resources/learn-about-guitar-pickups-and-electronics-and-wiring/p-90-pickup-kit-with-vintage-style-bobbin/
    Thank you.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72427
    I've had to fix several P90s that were not working properly - very weak, thin signal even though the coil metered fine - and in every case it was because the magnets had been changed or the pickup just disassembled for some reason, and being put back the way they 'want' to go with opposite poles together. So don't do that :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14472
    Been there. Fixed that. Many times. Many, many times.

markj said:
    I've bought a few different mags from Alegree Pickups and want to change them in my P90s.
    Before you remove the stock magnets, mark their orientation. This way, you can easily reinstate them without creating phase issues with a second P90.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    After changing the mags in the pickups to roughcast 2 and 4, they sound smoother and a little bit warmer.
    With the 2 pickups on together there is a slight drop in volume and the guitar sounds quaky like it's out of phase.
    Have I put one of the mags the wrong way round.
    edited December 2023
    markj said:
    After changing the mags in the pickups to roughcast 2 and 4, they sound smoother and a little bit warmer.
    With the 2 pickups on together there is a slight drop in volume and the guitar sounds quaky like it's out of phase.
    Have I put one of the mags the wrong way round.
    It depends how quiet and quacky... there's a slight volume reduction even when the pickups are in phase, and a hollower tone - there's still some harmonic cancellation.

If it's about half the volume of either pickup and very honky, they're likely to be out of phase.

(Edit - ignore that, it's easier to check as mrkb said below.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6882
    edited December 2023
    I’d put a multi meter reading millivolts onto the output cable and see if the voltage spike is the same when tapping a screwdriver onto the pickup. Thats quick and easy check of phase.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Both of the mags are repelling each other on both pickups.
    What have I done wrong?
    tFB Trader
    Flip both magnets (outside to in) on one of the pickups, this should put it back in phase with the other.
    Flip both magnets (outside to in) on one of the pickups, this should put it back in phase with the other.
    But they won't be repelling each other.
    markj said:
    Flip *both* magnets in one pickup.

tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    markj said:
    Flip *both* magnets in one pickup.
    I think that's what I said isn't it?  
    SteveRobinson said:

I think that's what I said isn't it?  
    Yes :).

I'm not completely convinced they're actually out of phase if the volume drop is only slight though. I would do what mrkb said first.