Tuffset Bridge

What's Hot
TuffsetTuffset Frets: 44
edited November 2023 in Made in the UK

Hello all,

It's been some time since the last update, and I’m thrilled to announce we’re now entering the final phase of the Tuffset journey!

Thanks to all who commented in the previous thread about the bridge - https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/252063/new-uk-made-offset-bridge/p1

Mods - I will of course be happy to make any changes to this post you deem appropriate! I hope it's alright and in the spirit of this forum section.

I’ll jump right into the most common questions we’ve been getting, but feel free to read on for more details. As always, I welcome any questions and comments you might have and endeavour to read and reply to every one

TLDR:

• Tuffset Bridge prototypes have been receiving amazing feedback from builders and players in the UK

• The design has been finalised, and the Tuffset is currently being manufactured

• We anticipate the Tuffset Bridge will be available in February 2024 - join the mailing list on the Tuffset Website and be the first to know when it’s available.

Here’s a sneak peek at the Tuffset testing mule, my own 1965 Lake Placid Blue Fender Jazzmaster outfitted with a Stainless-saddle Tuffset bridge:

The most obvious difference you will notice is that the footprint of this bridge is larger than the 2.1 Prototype I’ve shared before. I think this helps the Tuffset look more at home in a vintage context, less similar to a TOM-type bridge; and also allows for a huge 11mm of intonation adjustment which should allow it to be suitable for use even on a Bass VI!

Bringing the Tuffset to Luthiers & Builders:

Once the latest prototypes rolled off the presses, we wasted no time getting them into the hands of trusted luthiers, players, and builders in the UK with a “Tuffset Roadshow” of sorts. During their hands-on experience with the Tuffset Bridge, our guinea pigs had some fantastic insights not just on how the bridge feels and sounds within the guitar, but also on the process of installation and adjustment.

If you're a builder or tech in the UK and you'd be interested in playing the Tuffset, send me a PM or comment below and I'll do my best to come and visit you too

I’m delighted to say most were quick to highlight the exceptional clarity and power of the vibrato action. Many have hands-on experience with various aftermarket Offset bridges and fixed-post bridges, and what surprised them most was the complete freedom to lean into every note - every bend, every divebomb and every chord - without some nagging doubt that tuning will be lost or setup will come unravelled. 

I’m pleased to say that the general consensus was that the authentic qualities of an Offset guitar are retained or heightened with the Tuffset, each string delivering a stronger and clearer signal without the typical drawbacks like dead spots, poor sustain, or unwanted buzzing that can often dog these unique instruments - but without transforming the unique sound of the instrument or authentic floating vibrato action that drew many of us to these guitars in the first place.

Despite copious abuse of the whammy bar, we were physically unable to put the guitar out of tune - and the locking system ensures that time spent dialling in the perfect setup isn’t squandered the next time you open your guitar case!

Creating the Installation Guide

I like to think we in the Offset tribe are generally pretty good at setting up a guitar, mostly because we’ve grown up doing it every five minutes!

We want each and every Tuffset player to use the bridge effectively and get the absolute best out of their guitar from day one - whether they’ve come through with Loctite-stained fingernails, or whether this marks their first tentative steps into the intriguing world of Offset guitars.

The Tuffset Installation Guides (product manuals) are now completed, and I’m really chuffed to share a sneak preview with you here!

We are supporting the manual with a video playlist which will be available online in several parts.

The packaging has been manufactured, and we have taken great care to design the dimensions of the product and shipping boxes to allow free shipping to Europe, the USA, Canada, the UK and many other territories worldwide.

Engineering Update

One important design decision that came out of this round of prototypes was the adoption of a 60° string slot instead of the more common 90° slot you might find on Mustang-style or other aftermarket bridges. We’re rolling this out now as a standard feature for all Tuffset rocking bridges.

For all their problems, I always credit the original Offset bridges for their ability to grip the strings and rock effectively. The older and more corroded they are, the better tune they seem to keep! But we mustn’t forget that the original string slots, being screw threads, were 60° - and playing these prototypes, I think that makes a bigger difference than I had realised.

Rocking bridges require the saddle and the string to grip onto each other, and the 60° string slot made a noticeable improvement - not only in the responsiveness of the bridge to vibrato use, but also in preventing your fretting hand from accidentally knocking the bridge out of its rocking axis.

It also effectively lowers the profile of the bridge slightly, so it might prevent “bottoming out” on the pickguard if that’s a problem on your guitar.

With the 60° string slots, it took a noticeably greater force to make the bridge “slip” on the strings, and we think this is of great benefit to players with robust picking hand technique who might have found rocking bridges too fragile in the past.

It all adds up to a super responsive vibrato action; and a firm, confidence-inspiring feel under the fretting hand. Every edge of the Tuffset is chamfered, and every locking screw head is flush with the saddle - we want the Tuffset to deliver in every way, including player comfort!

If you’re interested in further content, videos and updates we will be posting regularly on the Tuffset Instagram @tuffsetbridge in the run up to launch and beyond. Coming soon is a comparison video featuring the pictured 1965 Jazzmaster, comparing the Stock bridge to the Tuffset bridge, which I’ll also post on here for anyone interested.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Social Media

We’ve also set up a Tuffset Discord Server and a Tuffset Tribe Facebook Group. If you are active on these platforms, we hope you will join us for Offset related discussion and to share experiences, guitars and advice on anything Tuffset related - I think a lot of groups and servers could benefit from more of the patient, friendly forum community feel!

We’ll be posting exclusive updates in the run up to launch day and hope this community will help everyone get the very best out of their beloved Offset guitars.

https://discord.gg/c7s7CBwt

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1488324098614750

Finally a massive thank you to everyone on this forum for your opinions, honesty, suggestions and enthusiasm! Forums build very special communities that are not prey to the anonymity and “here today, gone tomorrow” organ grinder of other social media.

Cheers and all the best!

Dan

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Good luck with this!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I’m definitely in for at least 1. Looks great! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Cheers guys!! I can't wait for you to try them! ;)
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    I’m holding out replacing my JM bridge til this comes available. Keep us posted!
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Def going to be trying one of these. 
  • These really do look great, I'm going to try one out on my TVL JM :)
  • I'm really hoping to try one of these too. There's no lip front or back which was the big issue with a Staytrem on my Jaguar.
  • If you need someone to test your LPB Jazzmaster..... 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hello all!

I'm pleased to announce that we will be exhibiting at The Guitar Show near Birmingham, UK on Sat 2nd and Sun 3rd March 2024!

I am farming for advice and ideas to make our pitch as good as possible.

My original thought was to have two guitars - Squier VM JMs - one with the Tuffset and one with the stock bridge, and to wire these up into the same (headphone) amplifier with an A/B signal pedal, so direct comparisons can be made.

However, on second thoughts, I feel like nobody would want to play the original just as a comparison. Everyone will want to play the guitar with the Tuffset - do you think this is a reasonable assumption?

If I am only bringing one guitar, I'd like to make it broadly representative of what the show-goers already have as a reference point. So a vintage-style JM, even if it's a Squier, would seem to foot the bill.

Then again, I want to show the Tuffset in its best possible light, of course. So perhaps I should fit some upgraded pickups and electronics?

If I was meeting with one or two people, as I have been doing thus far, I would bring my '65 JM (pictured). But I just don't want the nerves that would come with so many people (with so many different Ph levels in their sweat!) playing this guitar.

Perhaps I should bring two guitars, but have one Squier JM and one Squier Jag. I could do some basic upgrades (pickups, electronics, setup) on both? That way, if it's a Mustang or Jag player, they can check out how the Tuffset performs on a short scale; and if it's a JM player or a luthier with thoughts of their own full-scale offset model, they can play on the JM. Both would be "rose tinted" representations on a well set up guitar with decent pickups, and it wouldn't be the end of the world if either guitar were damaged.

My pitch is 2m x 2m (6ft 8" square). I've been thinking about including the following exhibits:

1) an oversized 3D-printed functional model of a single adjustable saddle, maybe 5x actual size, to demonstrate how the adjustment and locking system works

2) a literal bread board cut for tuners in one side, a vibrato in the other, and bridge thimbles - so guests can adjust a real Tuffset to their heart's content and get the hang of using the system.

3) a small carpeted stringworker's table, so other luthiers present can bring specific guitars and fit the Tuffset to them and try it for themselves (I guess they will be pretty busy themselves, though!)

I'd like to attach a light-up Tuffset logo to the back wall, and I was planning on getting some of these pop-up banner stands printed with pictures and some "at a glance" information from the website:

Please let me know if this sounds good to you, whether this would pique your interest - and most importantly, if there is something I have neglected to include or if you have any other ideas of what you'd want to see!

Cheers all and I hope to see you at the show!

Dan
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Paging @guitars4you - a dab hand at guitar shows ;)
  • WeZ84WeZ84 Frets: 167
    Will you have any of the bridges for sale at the show? People may want to take one home after they have had chance to look at your demos.
  • Cheers digital kettle!

WeZ, yes we plan to have bridges for sale at the show. I'm thinking about telling people to bring their actual guitars along so we can fit them with the Tuffset there and then, and teach the owners how to make adjustments - but I'm not sure yet!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16737
    I'd want to see it as more than a Squier upgrade, so think its a mistake to just have those.

I'd take the 65, but keep it up high at the back of the stand. Have the Squiers down front for people to play on.   It might be worth having an example between the two extremes.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14310
    tFB Trader
    Dan - let's get Christmas out of the way, but if you want to give me a call and chat, then happy to do so about shows/exhibiting plus bounce of any ideas - Mark
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WezV, yes I'm hearing that from a few sources - I think a decent intermediate would be something like a Vintera 60s, that has all the bits and pieces in the standard locations so would be representative (more or less) of AVRI or several other models.

I actually have a Juggernaut (basically a full-scale Jag-style) body with a finish on it, I could make a guitar out of that and put a couple of JM pickups in it, and it would basically serve as a "boutique" JM-style. It's a balance between going for something eye-catching or noteworthy in its own right versus something truly representative of what people have / can expect!

Hi Mark, that's really kind of you to offer and great to make your acquaintance! Have a great Christmas break all
  • TuffsetTuffset Frets: 44
    edited February 27

Hello Fretboard!

We’re really looking forward to seeing some of you at The Guitar Show UK this weekend, where we will be on Stand 93a. We’ve been building the much-discussed Tuffset Demo Guitar and you are all very welcome to come and have a go!

I’m so excited to share with you that the Tuffset Bridge will be available for pre-order on Saturday and Sunday at the show, alongside interactive exhibits so you can experience adjusting the bridge firsthand.

The first 24 pre-orders will also receive a free limited run Tuffset poster to take home on the day!

The bridges are currently in production and we anticipate a shipping date of 20th April to fulfil all pre-orders - exact terms and conditions will be detailed on launch.

We will be making a new post each day until then revealing some key aspects of the design, so keep your eyes locked to the Tuffset Instagram account.

Like any good book, we’re kicking off the pre-order launch with the contents - of the box, that is. Everything you need to set up the Tuffset Bridge is included:

• Tuffset Bridge

• Product Box with Protective Insert

• 18-page Fully Illustrated Tuffset Installation Guide

• Tuffset Pick

• Small Ball-Headed Allen Key for Saddle Adjustment (Nickel)

• Large Allen Key for Post Adjustment (Black)

• Two Locking Followers

• Two Spare Locking Followers

Even if you can’t make the show, if you’re on the Mailing List you will receive a link on Tuesday the 5th March to pre-order your own Tuffset Bridge with a discount code that will let you secure the bridge for a once-in-a-lifetime price. 

It’s our way of saying a heartfelt ‘thank you’ to everyone on this forum who has followed this project and contributed to its development. Thanks to your kindness, patience and enthusiasm, the Tuffset dream is now finally coming true.

I’ll make a post about the demo guitar here separately, it’s got some cool features that might be familiar to GuitarForm fans!

Cheers and take care!

Dan

• JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader
    Tuffset said:

Hello Fretboard!

We’re really looking forward to seeing some of you at The Guitar Show UK this weekend, where we will be on Stand 93a. We’ve been building the much-discussed Tuffset Demo Guitar and you are all very welcome to come and have a go!

I’m so excited to share with you that the Tuffset Bridge will be available for pre-order on Saturday and Sunday at the show, alongside interactive exhibits so you can experience adjusting the bridge firsthand.

The first 24 pre-orders will also receive a free limited run Tuffset poster to take home on the day!

The bridges are currently in production and we anticipate a shipping date of 20th April to fulfil all pre-orders - exact terms and conditions will be detailed on launch.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/vioX801.jpg[/img]

We will be making a new post each day until then revealing some key aspects of the design, so keep your eyes locked to the Tuffset Instagram account.

Like any good book, we’re kicking off the pre-order launch with the contents - of the box, that is. Everything you need to set up the Tuffset Bridge is included:

• Tuffset Bridge

• Product Box with Protective Insert

• 18-page Fully Illustrated Tuffset Installation Guide

• Tuffset Pick

• Small Ball-Headed Allen Key for Saddle Adjustment (Nickel)

• Large Allen Key for Post Adjustment (Black)

• Two Locking Followers

• Two Spare Locking Followers

[img]https://i.imgur.com/neKwpp0.jpg[/img]

Even if you can’t make the show, if you’re on the Mailing List you will receive a link on Tuesday the 5th March to pre-order your own Tuffset Bridge with a discount code that will let you secure the bridge for a once-in-a-lifetime price. 

It’s our way of saying a heartfelt ‘thank you’ to everyone on this forum who has followed this project and contributed to its development. Thanks to your kindness, patience and enthusiasm, the Tuffset dream is now finally coming true.

I’ll make a post about the demo guitar here separately, it’s got some cool features that might be familiar to GuitarForm fans!

Cheers and take care!

Dan

Tag me in and I will share @theguitarshowuk
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27139
    Excellent! I can’t be there as I live at the wrong end of the planet b it I’m looking forward to trying one :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Fixing @Tuffset 's images...