Sry: Another Thread Asking For Suggestions

Fellas, my guitar recently got nicked after a break in at church and I need to replace it with something.
 I’ve been outta the game for a while, and I got no idea what’s good and what’s not.
i got about £500 (ish) to spend, just looking for a decent player, doesn’t need to be an electro-acoustic, but it might be nice to able to plug it in. Was thinking something used, could I afford a half decent Yamaha on the used market? What’s the Martin D-X1E like?

Thanks for any pointers or suggestions.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1436
    edited November 2023
    Edit - read the whole post wrong. 
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7225
    edited November 2023
    What make and model of guitar was stolen?
    It might yield some suggestions for guitars that are more aligned to what you were used to playing.

I think this guitar represents very good value for money, especially after you apply the discount code CLOSINGSALE for 30% off the £549 price which brings it well below budget.  I have two Cort acoustics around the same price level.  They are excellent build quality and sound great.  The Fishman electrics are of good quality.

The Yamaha range of guitars in that rough price range are exceptionally well made and finished, and sound very good.  If you can find an FSX830C or FGX830C for £500 it will be money very well spent.  The X means it has built-in electronics that add on about an extra £80 to £100.

The problem with acoustics is that it is always best to try them before buying, because what I like won't necessarily sound or feel good to you.

I love the paradox  :)

paradox.jpg 36.2K
  • PM'd
  • AxeWieldingBastardAxeWieldingBastard Frets: 156
    edited November 2023
    BillDL said:
    What make and model of guitar was stolen?
    It might yield some suggestions for guitars that are more aligned to what you were used to playing.

I think this guitar represents very good value for money, especially after you apply the discount code CLOSINGSALE for 30% off the £549 price which brings it well below budget.  I have two Cort acoustics around the same price level.  They are excellent build quality and sound great.  The Fishman electrics are of good quality.

The Yamaha range of guitars in that rough price range are exceptionally well made and finished, and sound very good.  If you can find an FSX830C or FGX830C for £500 it will be money very well spent.  The X means it has built-in electronics that add on about an extra £80 to £100.

The problem with acoustics is that it is always best to try them before buying, because what I like won't necessarily sound or feel good to you.

I love the paradox 

I created this account before I was a Christian, hence inappropriate name. I never changed the name as I don’t visit the forum anymore. This probably my first post in 3 or 4 years

Thank you for the suggestions. What is the Cort that you were referring to? 
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7225
    Whoops, I forgot to post the link.  It was just an example of the type of guitar you can get for the money, especially given that Cort is a brand name that isn't often mentioned despite them making excellent quality guitars:

Roughly OM shaped and sized guitar with solid Adirondack spruce top, solid Mahogany back, (I assume) laminated Mahogany sides, an Ovangkol fretboard, and Fishman Sonitone electronics.
  • I have a Cort parlour and would buy one of any size judging by how this plays. It did have a lifting bridge which I had to get replaced but it was cheap enough.
    The downside to Cort given that you are a churchgoer and Christian may be (and I stand corrected if I am wrong) is that I'm sure @Tannin mentioned them as a manufacturer with a bit of disregard for harvesting wood or how the treat workers or something along those lines. I may be wrong though so ignore me if I am.
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1852
    edited November 2023
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/WenaYEZMXog62BAd9.

This is what I think they mean by 'open pore.' At least I think it is.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5449
    That is correct, Jack.

Cort is one of the two gigantic Korean-owned guitar manufacturers, the other is Samick.  Both started in South Korea, then moved their operations to Indonesia and China.

In the case of Cort, this was in response to the fuss concerning their illegal actions against their underpaid workers. Most of their production now takes place in countries where treating your workers very badly is not illegal. I hate to think what their timber-supply arrangements are and how much virgin tropical rainforest has been illegally felled to supply them.

Both companies do a huge amount of OEM manufacturing. Samick, for example, make Epiphone guitars, not to mention Honer, Washburn, and many others. Fender-branded acoustics are made by Cort.