Polyphia just released a live album

What's Hot
allenallen Frets: 707
1. It is amazing how it brings back memories of the gig I went to. 
2. It is amazing that they say 'exactly' the same things between songs for the whole tour
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7328
    Point 2 is awful. I remember seeing Steve Vai at Manchester Apollo and him saying it was the most beautiful venue in all of Europe. Afterwards I asked my Dad why he'd think that when it's nice at best. He said he doesn't think that, he just says it at every show.
    I felt a bit weird about it, like he was just going through the motions or something when he wasn't and it was one of the best shows I've been to.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    HELLO CLEVELAND!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I thought I'd have a listen as i've not really listened to them before and I'm a bit bored at work. Some nice guitar tones and they can clearly play very well, and I guess offering something different than usual. that said, I couldn't help imagining vocals over the top at times, and strangely then in my head it sounded like Panic at the Disco, which is odd.

Then I heard them talking and realised why they don't do vocals, they sound like something off Fraggle Rock, so bizarre. And sad to hear it's scripted, it does sound rehearsed to me but that could be because I already knew it was to be fair.

Still, heard something new that I've not heard before, I probably wouldn't seek it out necessarily but wouldn't turn it off either (unless it was on for more than about 30 mins or so I suppose (or if they kept doing the muppet growls).
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9717
    edited November 2023
    Fraggle Rock
    Lol I've just seen the main chap is called Tim Henson - maybe that explains the Muppet voices?!
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • allenallen Frets: 707
    edited November 2023
    Tim hardly speaks during the show. It's the other guitar player (Scott LePage) doing all the yelling.

In interviews they both come across really well (at least to me).

Tim has a very eclectic image (wild tattoos, preppy knitwear and sandals, feminine make up) - he also comes across as the effortless genius artist.

Scott is an amazing guitar player, but is much more like a geezer who accidentally had a dream fantasy of girls, guitar and wild nights - and is making the most of every minute in case he wakes up.

I totally recommend listening to the album New Levels New Devils as it hits the perfect balance between math rock and pop in my opinion.

• allenallen Frets: 707
    Plus check this video out

I love the humour when Steve Vai turns up

• I was only listening to the live album on Spotify, but could tell there was one guitarist more "interesting" than the other, though as you say clearly both very skilled players doing something creative and enjoying it. Also wouldn't have known which was which or who was talking of course. Having just Google searched the Henson chap, he could also fit in the Panic at the Disco vibe I was getting, I was in the emo crowd in the 00s and we all dressed quite like that (but without the tattoos, in fairness =) ). 

I will have a listen to the album, though I think this kind of music I prefer "live" even if it is very polished, if I can ignore the talking. Which is quite unusual for me typically as I much prefer studio recorded guitar music than live. Interesting anyway, good on them
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28267
    I like them one track at a time. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22875
    I think they're amazing, but to echo Sporky I can only take them in small doses.  The idea of a Polyphia live album seems a bit weird... of course it proves they can actually play that stuff, but it probably sounds much better on the studio albums.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    I saw them live a few years ago pre-pandemic. They were excellent and nailed all those tough guitar parts. I remember two things - Tim diving into the crowd for a bit of crowd surfing (which surprised me for some reason), and Scott spending the whole time looking like the kid in a candy shop - he just couldn't stop smiling and was LOVING it! 

I don't particularly have a problem with people saying the same things. Try going to a comedy show!

Live album? I would imaging that technical music like theirs would sound pretty much the same?? Still, I'd be up for hearing it.
  • I do wonder if there's an element of them playing to a click track which severely limits how much creative scope there is between songs, so they just have a set spiel that they know gets them through in the right amount of time for the next click to start.  There's a band I adore called Pain of Salvation and they did a concert with an orchestra (BE - it's incredible) and I remember watching the behind the scenes and the lead singer said that if they missed the start of the click track they were f**ked, so that became the sole focus for the live shows on that tour.