SORTED - Help with troubleshooting strat wiring

What's Hot
JodyJamesJodyJames Frets: 36
edited November 2023 in Making & Modding
Hi folks,

I'm setting up a Squier MIJ E-Series strat for a friend, and discovered it needed a new selector switch. Decided to replace the import switch with a vintage-style one. I have wired it up correctly to the best of my knowledge (I'm no expert, but have checked many times), but the end result is not behaving as it should. At the moment, I'm getting no signal in positions 1/2/3, bridge and neck together in position 4, and bridge in position 5 (neck position). 

I'm more than willing to accept that I've probably messed this up somehow, but I can't understand what kind of mistake would lead to that result! If this was my guitar I'd be replacing the whole lot (indeed, that's what I did with my own MIJ a few years ago)

Here's an image... please don't hold me responsible for the rat's nest, it wisnae me... any advice would be much appreciated. Would be very happy if someone could point out a very basic error that I could fix...

https://imgur.com/wmfS5Ov

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    edited November 2023
    I think it's one of the switches with the order of the contacts reversed so the rotors are at the opposite ends. I can't see in the pic as it's too straight-on. I'm guessing it's this as you appear to have wired it correctly if it was a CRL switch and that's what it would give.

To fix it - if the contacts are they appear in the pic are:

1 2 3 4
      5 6 7 8

Then connect 4 and 5 to the volume pot instead of 1 and 8. 6, 7 and 8 are the bridge, middle and neck pickups, 2 is the middle pickup tone control and 3 is the neck tone control.

Also, it's a good idea to twist the pickup wires fairly tightly - it reduces noise. You can do that when you've disconnected them again...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14463
    What ICBM said EXCEPT …
    ICBM said:
    4 is the neck tone control.
    3 is the terminal for the neck pickup tone control.

I would add a link between terminals 1 and 2 so that the lower tone pot operates on both the bridge and middle pickups.

Twisting the pickup output conductor wires together will reduce interference. It may also help the wires to align better with the cavity channels.

I wouldn't faff about very much with the stock pickups. They will be the next components to get upgraded.

You have used a YM-50 switch. Its poles are on the opposite side compared to the CRL type illustrated in most schematic diagrams.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    Oops ;). Funkfingers is of course correct :), 3 is the terminal for the neck tone pot.

I can’t break the habit of CRL wiring either, it seems…

I’ve corrected the test ‘mistake’ now :D.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the comments folks - yup, it's a Gotoh DM-50, and I had no idea that these are wired differently. After five minutes of swapping wires, everything is as it should be. Cheers!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom