What pickups to pair with Seymour Duncan JB Jr neck?

What's Hot
I have a brand new SD JB Jr lying around for the last few years. Fairly sure I bought a neck one but can’t find online receipt so can’t be sure. (Is there a way of checking? It doesn’t say anything on the box)
Might use it on a strat in the future. What could I use for a middle and bridge? Should I be matching output so to try and keep volume uniform?
Thinking of some kind of single coil HB for the neck and not sure about middle.
Other option could be to put it in the middle position of a nashville tele or something. Or the neck position of a standard tele.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1726
    edited December 2023
    Hi there, you could stick it across a multimeter and measure the DC resistance to work out which edition it is.

According to the Seymour Duncan Website, a Bridge Position JB Jr would have a DCR of 15.2k Ohms, and a neck/middle position one 10.1k Ohms - (not that I try to get too bogged down in measurements when there are other things to consider as well.

Personally, I like variation in output /volumes between pickup positions but I know other people get very fastidious about having very consistent 'volumes' between positions - so its really up to you about that - and what you want out of the guitar I suppose.

That would at least get you started with one of the positions on the pickguard covered

Cheers!
    Ben.
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    edited December 2023
    @Bennyboy-UK I find strats comfortable, but if I had another I would put 3 different pickups in it, not single coil, so e.g. a jb jr in neck and maybe middle and a single coil size HB in the bridge.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14461
    Li'l Screamin' Demon or Red Devil models would go nicely in the bridge position. 

The obvious choice ought to be a JB Jnr B but those tend to be overbearingly loud.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    If it’s a neck JB Jr I would either pair it with a bridge one if you want to approximate a ‘modern’ HSH setup (ie with an overbearingly loud bridge pickup!) or put it in the bridge with single coils in the neck and middle if you want a more ‘classic’ HSS (ie with a more balanced bridge pickup), or maybe with a Li’l Screamin’ Demon in the neck for somewhere between the two... the LSD is a more open-sounding pickup than either of the JBs, I think.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    If it’s a neck JB Jr I would either pair it with a bridge one if you want to approximate a ‘modern’ HSH setup (ie with an overbearingly loud bridge pickup!) or put it in the bridge with single coils in the neck and middle if you want a more ‘classic’ HSS (ie with a more balanced bridge pickup), or maybe with a Li’l Screamin’ Demon in the neck for somewhere between the two... the LSD is a more open-sounding pickup than either of the JBs, I think.
    Other option is to go down the Billy Corgan Di Marzio route. I'd block the bridge, and use it for "non single coil" sounds.