Dreadnought VS Grand auditorium

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    I thought a GA and 000 were the same?
    Dunno. I think of a 000 as essentially the same model as an OM but with a 24.74" (ish) scale length. Also quite often mahogany back/sides.

I might be wrong though. I often am. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    Basher said:
    I thought a GA and 000 were the same?
    Dunno. I think of a 000 as essentially the same model as an OM but with a 24.74" (ish) scale length. Also quite often mahogany back/sides.

I might be wrong though. I often am. 
    you're correct on the first 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    edited December 2023
    Basher said:
    bertie said:
    Basher said:
    Sorry to hear about your own Furch frustrations. What's the problem with yours?

early dupuytren's and the V neck makes it uncomfortable  for me
    Co-incidentally, I think I've got that - maybe it's Furch guitars!

I'm lucky in that mine is very mild and on my right hand so it doesn't seem to inhibit my amateurish skronkings.

I've read that you're not supposed to bother a doctor with it if you can put your hand flat on a table. I can just about do that but the tendons on my ring finger feel very tight and uncomfortable.
    its all about the angle of contracture (trigger finger), different NHS regions say different things about when treatment is prescribed/advised/allowed !! Mine has no contracture, but there are lumps below the ring and middle finger - and sometimes quite painful 
    When I was working I had private medical over and the consultant I was seeing for my elbow tendon debridement offered to operate - but then I took early retirement - and with it went my insurance 
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    bertie said:
    Basher said:
    bertie said:
    Basher said:
    Sorry to hear about your own Furch frustrations. What's the problem with yours?

early dupuytren's and the V neck makes it uncomfortable  for me
    Co-incidentally, I think I've got that - maybe it's Furch guitars!

I'm lucky in that mine is very mild and on my right hand so it doesn't seem to inhibit my amateurish skronkings.

I've read that you're not supposed to bother a doctor with it if you can put your hand flat on a table. I can just about do that but the tendons on my ring finger feel very tight and uncomfortable.
    its all about the angle of contracture (trigger finger), different NHS regions say different things about when treatment is prescribed/advised/allowed !! Mine has no contracture, but there are lumps below the ring and middle finger - and sometimes quite painful 
    When I was working I had private medical over and the consultant I was seeing for my elbow tendon debridement offered to operate - but then I took early retirement - and with it went my insurance 
    Interesting. And thanks for the information.

I've got two small lumps (not much bigger than pea-sized) in my palm, under the ring finger (no pain though). What I have noticed is the recent formation of what looks like two small puncture holes between the lumps. It looks like I've been bitten by a small snake or a very small vampire!

Would possibly mention it to a doctor if I was going for something else but getting an appointment is near impossible at the moment with our GPs so I'll leave those for worse cases. I wouldn't like it to get worse though and I hadn't even considered that it would possibly interfere with guitar playing.

Still enjoying my Stanford/Furch/Whatever. Re strung it with 12s last week after a year or two with 11s and was amazed to find that the action seems to be lower. Don't know what kind of anti-physics is at work here but genuinely delighted that it seems a bit easier to play. Am guessing it was my expectation of a higher action and fearsome tension increase which turned out to be almost negligible, resulting in me thinking it's easier to play. Or something.
    Basher said:
    > Interesting. And thanks for the information.

I've got two small lumps (not much bigger than pea-sized) in my palm, under the ring finger (no pain though). What I have noticed is the recent formation of what looks like two small puncture holes between the lumps. It looks like I've been bitten by a small snake or a very small vampire!

pretty much the same here - except there is some "more discomfort than pain" but things like opening jars etc can be painful. No movement restriction in those two. However I do have a "clicky" trigger finger in my index finger - cause by grabbing Wilfs harness when he was trying to run across the road to see one of his mates - which if left clenched can lock, ie at night sleeping - went to the docs and had x-rays theres no bone trauma - it is getting worse, but with all thats going on with Wilf, Ive no time to go back and sort it out
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8706
    I’ve always thought of a GC as a fingerpicking instrument, and a Dreadnaught as meant for plectrum playing. Each of a GC’s strings has its own character, whereas the Dread’s strings are more alike. The GA lies somewhere between the GC and the Dread. YVMV
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • I was trying to find another thread where @bertie mentioned a Furch jumbo and how powerful it sounded. 

So I've got this L-05 which basically outputs like a jumbo / dread. I am really loving the sound, but the amount of air it pushes out is mega - the bass is deep. This morning my right ear is ringing with my tinnitus. People say that playing acoustic doesn't affect hearing (damage) but is this really true? My ears definitely seem susceptible. I've grown to like this L-05's sound so much that I do want to keep it but I'm not sure if my hearing would appreciate it. I will do a few more experiments - basically play only that one guitar for a night and see how I'm doing the next morning. Not sure if it's the deep bass or the volume / air-push that is doing this. 
    edited December 2023
    I was trying to find another thread where @bertie mentioned a Furch jumbo and how powerful it sounded. 

it was a Brook Okement (my home town river)   Super Jumbo  - it was outrageous,  could've used it as a weapon,  not too comfortable (for me) to play longer than 5 or 10 mins sitting
  • Ah thank you! 

Just googled it. I think as long as the waist is pinched and it rests on the knee that's all good, but if the lower bout is huge then yeah could be uncomfortable. These big guitars do sound lush, though. 

I need to figure out what's upset my ears. It's either been putting the bone pins on my Bhilwara rosewood guitar or playing the L05 - one of these has aggravated it for sure