Clean(ish) mid boost recommendations

What's Hot
HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9768
edited December 2023 in FX
Claptonesque mid boost but in a pedal. I’ve never been a big user of pedals so interested in your thoughts and recommendations.

£100 ish max
Must take a battery
The simpler the better (one knob would be ideal)

I guess the obvious answer is a Tubescreamer-type pedal, but I also wonder about an EQ pedal to boost selected frequencies.

Thanks

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    @HAL9000, ;The TC Electronics Spark Booster would be a good option and well within your price limit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It might be worth trying an EHX LPB-1. It's a simple "make things louder" pedal, but the circuit also adds some mids. They're pretty cheap and reliable. 

You might not want to give the trade union-hating reactionary Mike Matthews your money, however if you buy a used one, your conscience will be clear. ;)
  • Seymour Duncan pickup booster? They are surprisingly expensive now for what they are (USA build I guess) but one big knob, little toggle switch and the foot switch. Looks like they are on a MK3 now (or MK2 with a different finish at least). 

One Control Purple Humper? Around the £100 mark new. Does actually seem to take a battery although it's a smallish pedal and does seem to be exactly what your are describing. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I picked the Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster up recently for £33 on eBay. It’s latest version. I like it and it has some interesting features if you use single coils, lowers the resonate peak of the pickups to make them more like humbuckers. So maybe not a typical mid boost but can thicken up the sound.
  • ColsCols Frets: 7176
    If you’re feeling handy with a bit of simple soldering, you could just buy a TBX kit, a footswitch and a couple of sockets and put it in an enclosure.

But your simplest solution is probably a TC Electronic Spark Boost (the full size version).
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9768
    edited December 2023
    One Control Purple Humper? Around the £100 mark new. Does actually seem to take a battery although it's a smallish pedal and does seem to be exactly what your are describing. 
    Looks exactly what I’m thinking of…

Cols said:
    If you’re feeling handy with a bit of simple soldering, you could just buy a TBX kit, a footswitch and a couple of sockets and put it in an enclosure.

But your simplest solution is probably a TC Electronic Spark Boost (the full size version).
    … but that’s now two votes for the TC Spark.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3922
    Klon-types worth a look too. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9768
    Well, I borrrowed a friend’s EQ pedal the other evening and managed to get the boost / mid hump thing to taste fairly easily so will probably be going down that route. Thanks for all the replies (even if I’m not taking the boost pedal option!).
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14613
    BOSS, Ibanez and Maxon have at various times all produced a semi-parametric EQ pedal. The mid range controls permit a centre frequency and the amount of boost to be pre-selected. Engage the pedal for your boost.

I have a tc electronic Classic Sustain + Parametric EQ pedal. Unfortunately for you, it is worth a fair bit more than one hundred Pounds. I need to check the specs to find out how many dB of boost it can provide.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.