Fractal Fret Press

What's Hot
Just seen this on Instagram, looks very interesting so I am looking forward to see how much it costs.

It will automatically adjust itself to any fretboard radius

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6879
    edited December 2023
    There’s a great video about a fractal vice on YouTube by the myth busters dude. Well worth a watch about an amazing engineering concept.

https://youtu.be/NUhrF0xkhhc?si=D87_75cI2vT5KB3a
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That's interesting, there is a lot of brass in it so won't be cheap but might be handy tool to have or possibly to DIY.
    If I can get my head around the concept.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 538
    Looks very interesting.  What's the benefits of using a press over a hammer?  Do you risk denting the frets with a soft faced hammer? 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16725
    edited December 2023
    The main benefit of pressing is  it ensures consistency of the pressure applied.

• SporkySporky Frets: 28389
    WezV said:
    The main benefit of pressing is  it ensures consistency of the pressure applied.

Which - in my very limited compared to Mr V's experience - makes it far easier to put the frets in.

I just use the drill press attachment, but this does look cunning. Maybe overcunning, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7285
    Whenever I see something that's been well designed and made like this I begin to think of metal things that already exist and could be modified for use in assembling something that does the equivalent job.  In this case I'm seeing links from a motorbike chain just as I saw the bearing races in fidget spinners while looking at a manual fret radius winder thingy.  I made a hand press from a pair of large-jawed pliers and bought a couple of cheap cauls to use.  It worked OK, but I was constantly worried about denting the back of the neck even though I padded the jaw with leather, it was pretty hard on my hand muscles, and I had to use a hammer for the frets over the heel and body anyway.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8718
    WezV said:
    It also copes with compound radius fretboards, which a fixed radius caul in a pillar drill won’t.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Roland said:
    WezV said:
    It also copes with compound radius fretboards, which a fixed radius caul in a pillar drill won’t.
    That was a response to the question

What's the benefits of using a press over a hammer? 
  • That's interesting, there is a lot of brass in it so won't be cheap but might be handy tool to have or possibly to DIY.
    If I can get my head around the concept.
    Brass is worth about £3.50 a kilo , there's a fraction of that there. The cost will have more to do with complexity of production.
    www.scavengermusic.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Price is out $289.

Might be a bit rich, but hopefully it gets picked up by one of the big boys and economy of scale brings the price down.
  • Just wait for the AliExpress version :bleep_bloop: 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28389
    edited December 2023
    Ouch.

Though I can see why it's not cheap, especially in small batches. And it'd probably pay for itself for some builders. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."