The Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13972
edited December 2023 in FX
I have just ordered a Boss SD-1 as GAK have them on sale for £59.99

I can't believe I never owned one before, such a ubiquitous, classic overdrive. Looking forward the cheap simplicity of this classic, boosting a medium driven amp or to add grit and gain to a clean amp.

It's one of my favourite ODs in the HX Stomp.

Anyone else loving the simple, classic SD-1?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    Yeah,  they're lovely pedals. If you can't get a good tone with an sd-1, you probably fought for the nazis in WW2.
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I use one every gig and will continue to do so. 
    Slightly gritty amp, distortion pedal on with a low gain setting to add a bit of sparkle and then the SD-1 for a bit more overdrive. Sweet.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes the SD-1 has to be one of my longest serving pedals, and I always come back to it even though I get tempted by fancier stuff from time to time.

I think at this stage its big attraction is that I can set it pretty much without hearing it, I'm so used to it. I could probably gig with just one of them plus a delay. 
  • DoctorXDoctorX Frets: 370
    It was my first ever overdrive, I loved it, I went on to buy an Analogman modded one with a supposedly upgraded chip and caps and a push/pull pot that changed between symmetrical and asymmetrical clipping (this was 15-20 years ago), but there was no real improvement over the original. It’s been years since I’ve played one, might have to revisit it.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72770
    The newest edition has fixed the long-standing problem of the overdrive sound bleeding into the bypass signal slightly at higher gain settings as well, so there's no point in buying an original for more money.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KevSKevS Frets: 494
    edited December 2023
    I find the SD 1 especially good with single coil Strats and Teles..
    I got seriously great tone from just a Tele with Fender Original Vintage Tele pickups,,Flat pole alnico 3's,with an SD1 and a Teal Stripe Peavey Bandit on the clean channel..I think I dated my one to 1989/1990..I had a noughties one that was very slightly less transparent,but it could have been aging capacitors in the earlier one dropping in value/causing less output....I like the Tubescreamer too,but the SD1 has a little more raunch and energy,but you can still get a good lowish gain tone..Past 3 o'clock on the gain knob,I think it loses something..
    With hotter Humbuckers it is like it has too much mids..It can sound a bit wooly and mushy..

Just what I find...I love them though.. 

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17706
    tFB Trader
    I've tried loads of unicorn boutique drives and I currently have an SD-1 BD-2 and DS-2 on my board.

Classics for a reason
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2382
    Yeah it's awesome
  • My only overdrive pedal for many years was an OD-1 so I had to check out the SD-1 and OD-3 as well.

https://i.imgur.com/g0CS9My.jpg

The OD-1 and SD-1 are very close. The OD-3 is a completely different circuit and it suits me better for home playing levels but I plug in the SD-1 now and again.
  • KevSKevS Frets: 494
    I have an OD3,but for me the SD1 is the one with personality and Mojo..
  • Is the Wazza Craft version worth the extra? 
  • I've had a couple over the years, it's a great pedal but the BD-2 is 'better' for the type of stuff I play (and play through).
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    A bog standard SD1 kicked an analogman KOT and a Keeley modded TS off my board.

Just can't go wrong with it.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17706
    tFB Trader
    Is the Wazza Craft version worth the extra? 

It's got an additional mode.
    It's probably not technically worth the extra but given it's my favourite I've got one anyway.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3410
    I've tried loads of unicorn boutique drives and I currently have an SD-1 BD-2 and DS-2 on my board.

Classics for a reason
    Couldn't agree more...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonP said:

Classics for a reason
    Couldn't agree more...

nice! What board is that?
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3410
    NelsonP said:

Classics for a reason
    Couldn't agree more...

nice! What board is that?
    It's a Warwick Rockboard Tres 3.1
  • FezFez Frets: 537
    I got the black anniversary one and as soon as I plugged it in I thought why have I never had one of these before? I often think shall I get an ordinary yellow one, not sure it would replace my gunshot though.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7599
    edited December 2023
    At different times I've thought the SD-1 was the most wonderful under-appreciated (well I know it's not exactly unknown but you know what I mean) little box of boost goodies there is, and at other times I've thought it's somehow both nasal and flat at the same time and not much cop.

The difference was the amps I had at those times. 

for my taste, it has to be going in to something already clipping/crunching. The more the better. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • TimmyO said:
    At different times I've thought the SD-1 was the most wonderful under-appreciated (well I know it's not exactly unknown but you know what I mean) little box of boost goodies there is, and at other times I've thought it's somehow both nasal and flat at the same time and not much cop.

The difference was the amps I had at those times. 

for my taste, it has to be going in to something already clipping/crunching. The more the better. 
    Agreed, rather like the DS-1, the SD-1 can sound great with some amps in some situations and properly unpleasant in others.

I guess all pedals exhibit this to some extent but these two seem somewhat sensitive to being used in a suitable rig.