Sticky Vicky

What's Hot
I've always assumed she was a made up character mentioned in the Benidorm ITV show but turns out there was such a person who has now passed away...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-67564925

What a way to earn a living?
...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 7293
    I hadn't a clue who was being referred to, but I had a light bulb moment when I started reading the article.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1798
    BillDL said:
    I hadn't a clue who was being referred to, but I had a light bulb moment when I started reading the article.
    Did it just pop out to you?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Watt a legend, It gives me a warm glow remembering her act. I was incandescent with rage when she had to change to LED's. It was never the same. 
    edited December 2023
    I believe she ping-pinged to and fro between tungsten and LED for a while.  I think I read once that she would sit near an amp with her legs open and a mic in the proximity and get a good approximation of a really cavernous hall reverb.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    BillDL said:
    I believe she ping-pinged to and fro between tungsten and LED for a while.  I think I read once that she would sit near an amp with her legs open and a mic in the proximity and get a good approximation of a really cavernous hall reverb.
    A consummate professional who never dropped the ball and always dropped the ball.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24352
    I spent an amusing hour trying to get ChatGPT to tell me what her act involved.  It resisted admirably from going into any detail whatsoever until I forced it to agree with my accurate statement of what she did for a living.   Best evening ever.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    Uncle Festers  still in there!!! 
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1440
    Wonder what she done with the spent balls
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    I suspected she was some Sangria soaked  East Ender that washed up on Benidorm beach in the early 70s but she was a local Spanish woman much to my surprise ........
    Quite unpleasant occupation.
    Nah, the guy gathering up the ping-pong balls and light bulbs and washing them for re-use had a marginally more unpleasant job.
  • I've just watched a video of her on YouTube. I knew these things existed but not on YouTube, Jesus H Christ.
    One thing I've always wondered about people that do all kinds of strange things with different parts of their bodies, whether it is for some wacky Guinness Book of Records challenge or for public amusement and entertainment, is how you discover that you have the ability and aptitude to do it.  Does somebody just wake up one morning and wonder whether she could shove a No. 8 ball into one of her body cavities and propel it 15 feet into a top hat?
  • I watched the video - I'm pretty sure that at least one of the tricks is pure sleight of hand.

Interestingly, I recently watched a film called It Snows in Benidorm where Timothy Spall's character is enamoured with a similar character, although she was presented as much younger and classier. In hindsight, it is clear that the character was based on Sticky Vicky. It also has similarities with Ursula Martinez, whose act is presented a lot more like a magic illusion.