Pickup fault, help needed !!

What's Hot
Recently acquired a pair of Bill Lawrence noiseless (humbucking) tele pickups, the bridge pickup is installed in my Esquire partscaster and is excellent. 
  However the neck pickup had both tails broken off and one of the coil to tail wires broken, this was clearly visible before I purchased the set and as a result I have no issues with the vendor. 
  Next step was to have a good look, removed the tape from the lower coil, unwind some wire and resolder to new tail, but still no continuity across the tails, inspected the top coil and have continuity, but nothing through the lower, base, coil, I was hoping my soldering iron would be hot enough to melt the wire coating and I’m now thinking this is where the fault lies, any suggestions welcome, thanks in advance, Mike B.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14464
    Scrape away some wire coating with a craft knife.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Scrape away some wire coating with a craft knife.
    Thanks, I’ll give that a go in the next couple of days .
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    Just be *very* careful - it's extremely easy to accidentally shorten the wire instead of scraping the coating off. There is a reason I know this ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Just be *very* careful - it's extremely easy to accidentally shorten the wire instead of scraping the coating off. There is a reason I know this ;).
    Can’t imagine what that might be !!!!!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the advice everyone, had a look last night using a magnifying led craft lamp and it looks like someone has been there before me, I think there is a break somewhere in the winding, so I’ll wait until the new year now and look into getting the lower coil rewound.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    I’ll wait until the new year now and look into getting the lower coil rewound.
    @OilCityPickups is the best bet for stuff like this, repairing unusual or difficult to work on pickups. There are a couple of threads here worth having a look at - the DiMarzio mini-humbucker one in particular.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    @OilCityPickups is the best bet for stuff like this, repairing unusual or difficult to work on pickups. There are a couple of threads here worth having a look at - the DiMarzio mini-humbucker one in particular.
    Thanks, I’ve seen good things about him on here, once I get Christmas out of the way I’ll contact him.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10503
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Thanks, I’ve seen good things about him on here, once I get Christmas out of the way I’ll contact him.
    Yep that's the sort of issue that gets me up in the morning ... sigh ... :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Yep that's the sort of issue that gets me up in the morning ... sigh ... :-)
    PM on the way