Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

So 'Rizz' is word of the year

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28350
I'm the wrong side of 30 so I've never heard of it. 

Apparently Rizz is: is defined as style, charm, or attractiveness, and the ability to attract a romantic or sexual partner. 

The other shortlisted words were:
Beige flag (n.): a character trait that indicates that a partner or potential partner is boring or lacks originality; (also) a trait or habit, esp. of a partner or potential partner, viewed as extremely characteristic, but not distinctly good or bad [draft definition]
Situationship (n.): a romantic or sexual relationship that is not considered to be formal or established.
Parasocial (adj.): designating a relationship characterized by the one-sided, unreciprocated sense of intimacy felt by a viewer, fan, or follower for a well-known or prominent figure (typically a media celebrity), in which the follower or fan comes to feel (falsely) that they know the celebrity as a friend.
Heat dome (n.): a persistent high-pressure weather system over a particular geographic area, which traps a mass of hot air below it [draft definition]
Swiftie (n.): an enthusiastic fan of the singer Taylor Swift [draft definition]
Prompt (n.): an instruction given to an artificial intelligence program, algorithm, etc., which determines or influences the content it generates [draft definition]
De-influencing (n.): the practice of discouraging people from buying particular products, or of encouraging people to reduce their consumption of material goods, esp. via social media [draft definition]

I'm not quite sure how 'word of the year' includes things that are clearly two words together?

I have a nomination for the worst word of the year, I bloody hate it! - Poonami. Keeps turning up on some crappy Nappy ad on TV. If I was still buying them I would boycott that brand on principle. Grumpy old man ....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3861
    I usually learn the word of the year teh day the winner is announced.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6981
    Isnt it just a shortened/slang version of Charisma?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • bobaccobobacco Frets: 535
    What’s the word of the year for grownups?

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11399
    And still there is no word for the disappointment you feel when someone else takes the last biscuit from the pack/plate. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7402
    bobacco said:
    Jizz
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Poonami sounds too much like punani which could lead to some unpleasant confusion. 
    I think the Guide Dogs For The Blind use of pupdates is still the worst. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6808
    edited December 2023
    I've known and used the word "beige" as an adjective for decades. To me it always meant "conventional". I'm happy the meaning hasn't really changed. 

Riz is a new one on me. I like the "charisma" explanation. 

Current word of the nano-second for grown-ups must be "nups". Also implies that they're married. 
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4178
    Musk (n.): A destructive entity harming humankind and the planet.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13575
    edited December 2023
    axisus said:

I'm not quite sure how 'word of the year' includes things that are clearly two words together?

portmanteau   ? 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10363
    bobacco said:

Indifference?

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1497
    I don't believe in words coined by desperate juniors at ad agencies - so no simples, poonami, fantasilicious or whatever porrtmanteau is coined to sell more crap. 

Luckily I don't work in advertising so I won't nominate the craptastic "unfeelfullment" for the last biscuit disappointment.

I do love new words or phrases that bubble up from actual conversation or partmanteaus that are funny, so I'm not a total grouch.

I thought that parasocial, swiftie and prompt had been around for ages - I must skew young ;)

I'm a riot at the OED's annual tombola.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12278
    I too had never heard of it until today.  And I won't be deploying it any time soon either because it would make a 63 year-old me sound like an utter twat.

Who comes up with this shite?!
  • GoFish said:
    I don't believe in words coined by desperate juniors at ad agencies - so no simples, poonami, fantasilicious or whatever porrtmanteau is coined to sell more crap. 

Luckily I don't work in advertising so I won't nominate the craptastic "unfeelfullment" for the last biscuit disappointment.

I do love new words or phrases that bubble up from actual conversation or partmanteaus that are funny, so I'm not a total grouch.

I thought that parasocial, swiftie and prompt had been around for ages - I must skew young ;)

I'm a riot at the OED's annual tombola.
    It's not necessarily about new words (for example poonami is not a new one at all, been used for ages) it's about words that have had their moment this year. I don't think heat dome is a new one either
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23474
    Poonami sounds too much like punani which could lead to some unpleasant confusion. 

And some unpleasant music.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23474
    Surely Prompt in an IT/computing context is nothing new, even if we're now talking about AI?

And as for Swiftie, it's just a nickname for fans of an artist, that's not a proper word.  I'm not a Scorpionsie or a Wingerie.

• Philly_Q said:
    Surely Prompt in an IT/computing context is nothing new, even if we're now talking about AI?

And as for Swiftie, it's just a nickname for fans of an artist, that's not a proper word.  I'm not a Scorpionsie or a Wingerie.

I've been told I can be quite Rattie at times.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1817
    Poonami has been around for ages amongst parents of new children.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16858
    I remember using Poonami a lot when my kids were young and it was a fitting description of the mess I had to deal with. My eldest is 11 now, so it's definitely not a new thing

We had "Code Brown" for a shitty nappy, and "Poonami" for one that had leaked
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15720
    poonami is a term used in healthcare to describe the flow and volume of bodily waste from when a Nanna has been down on the floor for an extended period of time. One never forgets one's first poonami!!!

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19233
    Huh? It's not a new word & they can't spell it properly either...

FRANK ZAPPA  Weasels Ripped My Flesh - LP

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom