Much better way of thinking about modes?

What's Hot
allenallen Frets: 712
I really like this way of thinking about modes and harmony. It's on the piano, but some useful insight in my opinion.

I particularly like the stuff about thinking of a chord as being from several keys. That starts about 2m 50secs into the video.

I once saw a guitar video about this too and really liked it, but I can't remember which video it was.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10708
    edited December 2023
    Yes. the Dm in a 251 in C is not some sort of D Dorian mode, that would be a weird way of looking at things. It's just chord 2 in C major. 

Modal music is where a piece is actually "written in Dorian" such as What Shall We Do with a Drunken Sailor.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I'm only a minute in but it's fascinating how he plays the mode notes in such a simple way on the piano!
  • allenallen Frets: 712
    axisus said:
    I'm only a minute in but it's fascinating how he plays the mode notes in such a simple way on the piano!
    Yes, that got me too. To me, that might be a way of showing what a nonsense it is to talk about it that way.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2777
    I didn’t get much from that other than reinforcing my normal view that music theory for guitarists is better done on a piano :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom