Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Which guitar did you buy but move on quickest?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28350
As in a guitar that you thought you really wanted?

I'm not much of a buyer/seller, but many years ago I wanted a strat. I found one that I really liked the look of, it was a strat plus in some kind of reverse silverburst.

Having got it, I decided that I liked strats, but .... I quickly realised that I prefer the 'older' look, so not 2 point trem, modern saddles, lace pickups, roller nut. Also it was my first maple neck, didn't like that. I swapped out the pickups, but I knew it wasn't going to be a keeper. I even went off the colour

So I kept it for a few months but it got traded for a PRS

Looked like this, but with a maple fretboard.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2446
    I'm sure there's been more than one NGD thread on here this year where the guitar's gone back the same afternoon as the thread first being posted.
    Tim
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • PLOPPLOP Frets: 326
    Both of my quick moves were signature models. The first was a PRS SE with natural/clear gloss that I played for a few months then decided it just didn’t work for me. Traded that for a lovely Epi 1960s tribute plus which I still have. 
    Second is pretty recent, a Cort Matt Bellamy MBC1 that I don’t like how it feels when I’m sat down. The “forehead” is too big (the bit where the pickup switch would be on an Lp). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2233
    A PRS custom 24.  Nothing wrong with the guitar but was just the total opposite of what I should have gone for at the time.  

Thin neck (and body), powerful pickups, floppy bridge, ..... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31790
    Probably this one. I really liked it but hated the frets and couldn't justify an extra 300 quid on top of the purchase price so flogged it after a few months before I trashed the finish by gigging it. 

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14676
    Probably, a black Gibson LP Studio. It played nicely enough but was knocked into a cocked hat by my P90 Goldtop.

I traded the LP Studio with a well-known West Midlands guitar hoarder on this forum. He has never mentioned the thing since. I suspect that he, too, has traded it on.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bobaccobobacco Frets: 535
    edited December 2023
    PRS CE24. Wanted a ‘no frills’ 24-fret guitar that covered multiple bases. It did so, and really I can’t fault it - just didn’t have ‘it’ for me. Looked nice, played great and sounded good. Had it barely a month before trading it on. 

Edit: The ‘no frills’ because it was one of the satin, non-pretty-topped ones.

• NerineNerine Frets: 2223
    Guitars I'm less impulsive over. I tend to rotate them infrequently. 

Amps, though... Ugh.... 

Had my Jubilee for a week before I resold it. Drove my Soldano SLO 30 combo back to the shop the day it was delivered. Does that count?

I've had a few amps that I've returned:

Single Rectifier - Dead On Arrival.
    Bogner Ecstasy 101B - didn't like it. 
    Bogner Shiva combo - sounded horrendous. Dark. Ran beyond hot. (Gigged a Shiva head for years and loved it)
    Bogner Barcelona - speaker/cabinet rattled.
    Bogner Goldfinger 45 - presence control failed and was poorly built on a crap chassis in general.
    Marshall YJM - damaged on arrival. Chassis shunted out of headshell. 
    Budda Superdrive 80 - sounded proper guff.
    Friedman Pink Taco - Not enough volume, sadly. Awesome otherwise.
    JVM 205c - weird buzz or hum in the power section.

All were bought new, so I've not had the hassle of reselling, as such. Also, a lot of Bogners, which makes me very wary of them these days. The Ecstasy also had a couple of issues, my Shiva head crapped an output transformer, too. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12473
    Bought squier strat, Jaguar and jazzmaster during lockdown all used and sold them all on after working out what I liked and didn’t like about them. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12697
    Rickenbacker 620. 
    Squier Mustang.

Both awful. Both kept for a couple of days each before realising the error of my ways.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• OffsetOffset Frets: 12267
    Nerine said:

I've had a few amps that I've returned:

Single Rectifier - Dead On Arrival.
    Bogner Ecstasy 101B - didn't like it. 
    Bogner Shiva combo - sounded horrendous. Dark. Ran beyond hot. (Gigged a Shiva head for years and loved it)
    Bogner Barcelona - speaker/cabinet rattled.
    Bogner Goldfinger 45 - presence control failed and was poorly built on a crap chassis in general.
    Marshall YJM - damaged on arrival. Chassis shunted out of headshell. 
    Budda Superdrive 80 - sounded proper guff.
    Friedman Pink Taco - Not enough volume, sadly. Awesome otherwise.
    JVM 205c - weird buzz or hum in the power section.

All were bought new, so I've not had the hassle of reselling, as such. Also, a lot of Bogners, which makes me very wary of them these days. The Ecstasy also had a couple of issues, my Shiva head crapped an output transformer, too. 
    So the lesson you've learned from your amplifier travails is essentially 'Bugger Bogner'.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10928
    tFB Trader
    Gretsch Electromatic

Somehow I never bonded with it. I think it was the neck shape ... or the fact it out and out refused to stay in tune for five minutes. It looked stunning ... but if you don't feel it you don't feel it. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1503
    Prs S2 Mccarthy thinline. 

Perfectly playable and well set-up, just didn't gel with it. Bought during the christmas new year limbo week price drop.

Played it 4-5 times in 10 months.. 
  • I really lusted after a PRS DGT but bought two and sold them on.  Both were compromises.  The first compromise was on weight - it weighed 8lb 11oz and I realised I'd never be happy with it.  The second was a compromise on looks - a kind of black/brown burst with gold hardware.  It actually looked fantastic, but it looked very rawk and wasn't a good visual fit for the styles I actually play.  The guitars themselves were fine - if I'd got a really light one that was gold or cherry with moons I'd still have it.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1211
    Mine was just bog standard Strat.  Got it, played a few things in the "in between positions", got bored and traded it in for a Tele which I still have three years later.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4349
    Gibson R8. 

I really wanted a ‘burst Les Paul. 

Convinced myself enough that the big neck (I hate big necks) didn’t bother me. 

That lasted a couple of months. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• KevSKevS Frets: 512
    Anything I have owned with a Bigsby or Locking Trem..
    I was looking at a Guild Starfire that a guy bought with a Bigsby recently..Great looking guitar,but that Bigsby..
    I don't like the overtones etc..
    I had a Gretsch Electromatic Country Gent in Cadillac Green Metallic..
    It was a Beautiful Ornament..
    An Epiphone ES345 Marty McFly in Cherry Red with Bigsby and Split Parallelogram inlays with Varitone..
    The Bigsby ruined it..Loved the look..

Locking trems..I've went into before,,give me a Strat Trem instead..
    6 screw or 2 post..
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1331
    EBMM Luke III. My dream guitar, roughly a week from the date of purchase to delivery to a buyer in Germany. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23462
    edited December 2023
    Not including things I took an instant dislike to and returned, I think the winner would be a Bacchus Explorer with "Clapton cut" body like the one below.  It was nicely made but the balance was horrible and I hated it.  I'd bought it from Japan so a return seemed too much hassle, I just put it up for sale immediately.  The shape looks a bit shit too, in retrospect.

BEX2-KORINA NA Bacchus

Now that I think about it, there were a few others which also had quick turnarounds:  Tokai Love Rock II, Aria Pro II PE Exotic, Edwards Potbelly, Gibson Les Paul Studio (probably should've kept that one).  And more.

I was quite a "flipper" in those days, but I never bought anything intending to sell it.  And I never made a profit.  Complete opposite now, I haven't sold anything for nearly ten years.
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 847
    Oh this is where I’m going wrong! I thought it was another one in forever and forever. ;)
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3707
    PRS Hollowbody II bought Jan 2022, traded May 2023 - but only because I'd bought a Hollowbody II Piezo.  On the whole, I've moved wives on quicker than guitars.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom