I screwed up – help finding Hipshot saddle height adjustment grub screws

What's Hot
Long story short, lost one of the screws and currently don't have access to the tools to take out another one and measure it properly.

Contacted Hiphshot who advised it's a "SAE #4-40x1/4" grub screw. Am I correct that these are basically 6mm M3 grub screws in our nomenclature? Do I just get some on Ebay?

I got there by using our robotic ChatGPT overlords but not sure this is completely correct as the dimensions don't quite match. 

"To convert the size of an SAE #4-40x1/4" screw to UK (or metric) standards, you need to consider both the diameter and the length of the screw. Here's how to do it:
  1. Diameter Conversion (Thread Size):

• SAE #4 corresponds to a nominal thread diameter. The #4 size is approximately 0.112 inches in diameter.
    • In metric, this is closest to an M3 screw, which has a nominal diameter of 3 mm.
  2. Thread Pitch Conversion:

• The 40 in 4-40 indicates the number of threads per inch, which is a thread pitch of 1/40 inches or approximately 0.635 mm.
    • The closest metric pitch is usually 0.5 mm, which is standard for an M3 screw.
  3. Length Conversion:

• The length of 1/4" translates to 6.35 mm.
    • This is usually rounded to the nearest standard metric length, so a 6 mm length would be the typical choice.

Therefore, the closest equivalent to an SAE #4-40x1/4" screw in UK or metric standards would be an M3x0.5x6 mm screw."

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments