Animal / Skreddy pedals?

What's Hot
LittlejonnyLittlejonny Frets: 149
Anyone here tried the Animal Major Overdrive and / or the Animal Diamond Peak Overdrive? This sounds awesome to me:

https://youtu.be/b5746WUfnbo?si=0eQtVaxJxoz7cm1I

and I believe the Animal version (Skreddy designed) are £119 in Andertons. I might have to take a punt…
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Big fan here. I have a Surfing Bear and Major Overdrive - actually both bought as souvenirs in Japan but knocked out some decent competition along the way. 

The MO is a really great MIAB. I now use an Origin RD instead which is def better but that’s hardly a complaint given the price difference!! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10910
    I have the Rover which is a Tone Bender. It is great. Was something like £70 shipped from Japan a couple of years ago
  • Nice. Will the MO get my clean Hot Rod Deluxe into cranked early Marshall territory…the blurb mentions EVH a couple of times, but I’m aiming more for Hendrix. I’m aware that in the video above they are using a Pro Reverb, which has a very distinct (and wonderful) sound…
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27350
    edited December 2023
    Yeah I think so. I think the EVH mentions are a little optimistic tbh (part of why I went Origin for my gigging board, goosed with another OD). I'd describe it as covering Hendrix-to-ACDC personally
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • I do!  I’d almost forgotten about that listing ;) but I still have it if you wanted it @Littlejonny ;
    Thanks @gatheredinsong :)
  • Ooh…let me deliberate a little longer…listening to demos today I thought it might sound a bit dark? 
  • I wouldn’t say it’s dark, but it’s not as bright as say a pedalpalfx can get with the presence knob.  Tbh I’d have to try it again tomorrow as it’s been on the shelf a little while.  There’s also this option just listed….
  • I wouldn’t say it’s dark, but it’s not as bright as say a pedalpalfx can get with the presence knob.  Tbh I’d have to try it again tomorrow as it’s been on the shelf a little while.  There’s also this option just listed….
    Thanks for the heads up @Jonnicholas i just bought it. Still not entirely sure about it, but at the price and relative scarcity I know I would regret not trying one.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24694
    I had the P19 fuzz.

I found it much more useable than the Muff on which it is based.

Thanks for the heads up @Jonnicholas i just bought it. Still not entirely sure about it, but at the price and relative scarcity I know I would regret not trying one.
    See, sent you to a good deal on one at the expense of a sale himself, lovely chap  B)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    See, sent you to a good deal on one at the expense of a sale himself, lovely chap  B)
    Yes, very kind. Best of luck selling the Skreddy - I’m certain it will be popular. 
  • @Jonnicholas what are you using now? Also, do you rate the pedalpalfx
  • Hi @Littlejonny the pedalpal is a great pedal.  I went through a bit of a spell of Marshally pedals (which I need to clear out!) and I actually think the pedalpal is the best of them, and also not too hard to find used as a relative bargain…!
  • I received the Animals Pedals Major Overdrive today whilst at work I plugged it into the desk and ran it through Amp Designer in logic using a clean AC30 setting and a clean bassman setting. It‘a a lovely sounding thing that’s for sure. Skreddy obviously has great ears. The tone control is interesting - it sounds good all the way round, just different. 

When I got home I had 10mins with the Hot Rod Deluxe…It sounded rougher through the HRD. It also reminds me of the Wampler Plexi Drive, but perhaps with a tighter bass and a narrower band of gain. 

Low gain isn’t so much it’s thing - it’s more AC/DC to Van Halen. It does have some artifacts on the tail end of notes (that bugs some people @ICBM ) but I don’t seem to mind that too much. It’s one of those things that I don’t think comes across in a mix. 

The nice thing about this type of pedal is they work with a completely clean amp. I was playing through the BB preamp (actually a clone of) yesterday and the thumpy clean sound is still there in the background. Kind of like a tube screamer with a better overall EQ.  (Amazing for stacking though).

Anyway, I’ll try it out in a band setting and come back with my verdict. So far, I like it - it’s definitely got a vibe.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom