WTB Bass guitar instruction… a how to play book!

What's Hot
JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 395
edited December 2023 in Bass
Anyone recommend or even sell me a good book to learn the bass guitar. I have the very basics but wanting to learning more, as a 6 stringer trying to move to the 4 string side!
ta all
jon
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Secret_SamSecret_Sam Frets: 279
    edited December 2023
    Most of the tutor books I know are oriented towards Jazz, but that does give you a good grounding in theory as you go 

The Improvisor's Bass Method by Chuck Sher is an industry standard.

For more advanced rhythmic stuff, Funkifying The Clave by Robbie Ameen and Lincoln Goines is very good.  It's based on modern Afro-Cuban grooves, but the skills you get from that are widely applicable. 

Both of those books are accessible for intermediate players, and if you already play guitar you can probably start there comfortably.  You will revisit them over the years, because they contain a lot of fundamental stuff that you will want to rethink as you progress.  I am assuming you can read bass clef.  It might take a while to learn if you don't, but it's worth it.  A lot of the great technique and vocabulary books just don't use tab.

A baptism of fire for reading is Bach's cello suites.  Start at the beginning of the book painfully slowly, and your reading will be great by the time you get to the end (full disclosure: I was too lazy to complete this, but I played in a big band for three years, and sight reading half a dozen new charts every week while the band leader shouts at you will sort you out). 

As a technical exercise, the bass clef version of the Charlie Parker Omnibook is worth playing with.  It's a transcription of every recorded Charlie Parker saxophone solo. Some of it is very difficult indeed on bass, but you will learn a lot by trying some of it, even if you play slowly and don't get it to performance standard. 

If you are a reasonable guitarist, your existing dexterity will take you through the journey faster than a complete newby. You will need to develop a different approach to time, but that will become apparent when you start playing with other people. 

Get a metronome if you don't already have one.  There is no such thing as a bass player whose timing is too good.

Final suggestion: if you can afford some lessons with a good teacher, you will cover ground far more quickly.  The advice I got was to use the Musician's Union handbook to find working professional session players who also teach, rather than just use local teachers.  It was good advice. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2287
    JonHosker said:
    Anyone recommend or even sell me a good book to learn the bass guitar. I have the very basics but wanting to learning more, as a 6 stringer trying to move to the 4 string side!
    ta all
    jon
    You might want to try studybass.com but choice of book depends on how much theory you understand (or want to).
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14472
    I have a couple of tutor books that came as part of a bass guitar purchase. Cover the postage and you can have 'em.

I may also have a Doug Wimbish (Tackhead, Living Colour) tutorial DVD somewhere. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2280
    edited December 2023
    I thought that the Hal Leonard books were good and come with access to backing tracks
  • Thanks all - appreciate the advice here.
    jon
  • PALPAL Frets: 540
    Don't waste your money on books there is more than enough on YouTube that will be more helpful. Good Luck.