Teenage Engineering EP-133

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17649
    tFB Trader
    I think you have to think of it as a fun idea generation box / music toy. It's not going to replace an MPC.

Don't 100% agree with this. There's a lot of chat online about it being 'just a toy' but its a lot deeper than people give it credit for. Sure you'll hit the limits of it quicker (maybe) but i think its so accessible that it doesn't matter. I've tried a lot of groove boxes and haven't got on with any of them; this clicked immediately. Someone, somewhere said you don't buy a device; you buy a workflow - and that is 100% true in my experience.

Also, the MIDI implementation is top notch; it's seamless. I have it sync'd with a controller, microfreak and Loopy Pro on my iPhone. Gonna see if I can add the HX Stomp to the party too.

Once I have some jams finished I'll pop some links here :) 

I don't mean that in a pejorative way. Boxes like that are crucial for a lot of people.

There are numerous famous artists who start all their tracks on Digitakt or messing about with a Juno because DAWs are brilliant, but not super inspiring.

All I mean is on an MPC or Machine+ or Push 3 you can create a full arrangement with synths and vocals etc and then if you really wanted to mix it and master it as well. On ep-133 you could create a really awesome beat or groove, but it's unlikely to be something that you uploaded directly to Spotify.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10258
    Yea creating music on a groove box is a very organic thing. You don't get the same experience with a DAW at all. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I think you have to think of it as a fun idea generation box / music toy. It's not going to replace an MPC.

Don't 100% agree with this. There's a lot of chat online about it being 'just a toy' but its a lot deeper than people give it credit for. Sure you'll hit the limits of it quicker (maybe) but i think its so accessible that it doesn't matter. I've tried a lot of groove boxes and haven't got on with any of them; this clicked immediately. Someone, somewhere said you don't buy a device; you buy a workflow - and that is 100% true in my experience.

Also, the MIDI implementation is top notch; it's seamless. I have it sync'd with a controller, microfreak and Loopy Pro on my iPhone. Gonna see if I can add the HX Stomp to the party too.

Once I have some jams finished I'll pop some links here :) 

I don't mean that in a pejorative way. Boxes like that are crucial for a lot of people.

There are numerous famous artists who start all their tracks on Digitakt or messing about with a Juno because DAWs are brilliant, but not super inspiring.

All I mean is on an MPC or Machine+ or Push 3 you can create a full arrangement with synths and vocals etc and then if you really wanted to mix it and master it as well. On ep-133 you could create a really awesome beat or groove, but it's unlikely to be something that you uploaded directly to Spotify.
    Yeah for sure, and I suppose me adding all those bits in with MIDI sync proves that haha. Its an instrument rather than a workstation; and I think devices like the MPC straddle both instrument and workstation territories.

Yea creating music on a groove box is a very organic thing. You don't get the same experience with a DAW at all. 
    Exactly this. I'm trying to get away from creating on a DAW; a blank project basically insights panic; whereas starting with a groove or sample on the EP-133 starts a bit of an inspiration chain. Eventually I'd like to get something like a Tascam Model 12 so I can record everything into Logic separately for mixing afterward; then I can enjoy mixing without having to add any more bits if I don't want.

But also, its pretty interesting to be limited. Trying to have everything sorted and mixed before essentially playing live to a stereo track in Logic for mastering is a completely different process again
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Yep!

The sound difference between my Juno106 and Cherry Audio vst is so so small.  But the difference between clicking a mouse and moving faders is massssssive
  • @Wazmeister I am rally close to pulling the trigger on a OP-1, the OG though, not the field. Think I’m right in saying you’re a fan? What primarily do you use it for?

I do a lot of stuff where I use my RC505mk2 as the hub and build beats live looping using the MPC one, SP404mk2 guitar, bass etc. I’m thinking of using the OP1 (possibly instead of the MPC) as all I really use it for is sound generation and then playing something live. From why I’ve seen the OP1 - though very different, is more immediate.

I like the look of the EP-133 as well, but I think it’s too close to the SP404 for me 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9575
    @Wazmeister I am rally close to pulling the trigger on a OP-1, the OG though, not the field. Think I’m right in saying you’re a fan? What primarily do you use it for?

I do a lot of stuff where I use my RC505mk2 as the hub and build beats live looping using the MPC one, SP404mk2 guitar, bass etc. I’m thinking of using the OP1 (possibly instead of the MPC) as all I really use it for is sound generation and then playing something live. From why I’ve seen the OP1 - though very different, is more immediate.

I like the look of the EP-133 as well, but I think it’s too close to the SP404 for me 
    Hiya mate, sorry for delay - mad busy week !

Anyway, I personally think that the OP1 is one of the best purchases Ive ever made. I've owned the OP1 and OP1 Field. I still own the latter now, and couldn't imagine me ever selling it.

It remains the most fun, enjoyable and creative device I've encountered. Incredibly simple to use, and deep if you want it to be. Songs and ideas just seem to roll out of it.

The original OP1 is good value used now.

All of the TE stuff is spendy, and def unique. I'm just trailing the TP7 (def keeper) and the TX6 now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9575
    The Red Means Recording stuff on YT is a great tutorial on the OP1;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB3NVnONcFE&list=PLcaEIjiwaCmS4RmJKZkLRIngREV8o_BCz&t=9

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks! Yeah. I am very tempted and think it might work well for me. Does seem to be something people either click with and love or hate, but I think it’s worth me taking a chance on.