Help with pickups wiring.

What's Hot
Hi. I have this cheapish guitar I got locally. And I just thought I would change the pickups to these Epiphone Probuckers I have. They seem to just have the braised wire and one other wire. I changed them over on the guitar and they seem to work ok, but when I turn down the volume there is a hum. 

So must be a grounding issue.  First am I right the the Probuckers just have the braided wire the the back of the pot and the other wire to a lug of the pot ? 

Secondly I haven’t changed any wiring so can you check the photo and let me know if you see anything 

thank you all for the help

@Icbm as you are always amazing with this stuff

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 7285
    edited December 2023
    Did you forget to embed a photo?  We were posting at the same time.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • One other thing when I opened the guitar up there was a black wire from the tone, no solder on the other end of the wire. It’s quite long and doesn’t appear to have been attached to anything. I connected it to a ground but wondered if maybe they had connected it to the bridge or a screw or something to ground it. Seemed odd but I am not very familiar with guitar electronics I am more familiar with pedal making 

• @roberty hey mate, just remembered seeing you post some guitars with you doing cap wiring. Any ideas ? 

• BillDL said:
    Did you forget to embed a photo?  We were posting at the same time.
    I was quickly trying to load it on to the site. Any help would be appreciated 

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    @roberty hey mate, just remembered seeing you post some guitars with you doing cap wiring. Any ideas ? 
    Looks good but I can't see if the pot case is connected to ground in the picture?
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    Do you have a ground wire attached to the jack socket? Is there a ground wire coming from the bridge?
  • What's connected to the middle lugs of the volume pots?  This would normally be the output to the switch.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 7285
    The loose black wire is most likely the ground / earth that needs to be connected to the bridge and therefore also to the strings.  What kind of bridge is on the guitar.

You didn't say what the wire was connected to on the tone pot.  The casing or one of the solder lugs?  Is that the wire that goes off the picture to the right?

I'm looking at that yellow wire / cable down at the output jack, but it's unclear from the image whether you have a live and ground wire connected to the respective lugs.

wiring.jpg 839.3K
  • Ground from wire is from Jack goes to the switch from following it with a multi meter. There is the. Definitely a connection on the back of all the pots to ground. 

• The back wire connected to the tone pot where should that go to ? Btw it’s a two volume and one tone config 

• Few more photos in case it helps 

https://imgur.com/a/xPID9nB

• CookiemonsterCookiemonster Frets: 886
    edited December 2023
    The bridge is a TOM. It’s a Flying V style guitar. How would I attach the bridge to ground solder to one of the posts ? 

edited December 2023
    BillDL said:
    The loose black wire is most likely the ground / earth that needs to be connected to the bridge and therefore also to the strings.  What kind of bridge is on the guitar.

You didn't say what the wire was connected to on the tone pot.  The casing or one of the solder lugs?  Is that the wire that goes off the picture to the right?

I'm looking at that yellow wire / cable down at the output jack, but it's unclear from the image whether you have a live and ground wire connected to the respective lugs.

https://imgur.com/a/xDbUKXo

Yes the ground and input are soldered to the Jack socket. 

I have had it playing ok. Just when I turn down the volume there is a big hum. When the pots are up to then it seems to be fine 

edited December 2023
    BillDL said:

The loose black wire is connected to the casing of the pot. Just not sure where to attach it to 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    edited December 2023
    I'm assuming you actually mean buzz and not hum (they're not the same thing ), since this is normally the problem when it happens when the volume is down a bit but not full up, so on that basis it's probably a shielding issue. If the bridge ground wire isn't connected to anything that would do it...

The wire needs to go to either the bridge post insert or the tailpiece insert - if it's been pulled out at the body end this can be tricky - you need to remove the insert from the body, poke the wire back up the hole from the control cavity, strip the end, and tuck it down the side of the hole so the insert traps it in place and makes electrical contact.

Getting the post insert out without damaging anything needs a bit of care - surprisingly, the right tool is a large claw hammer or a small crowbar . With a piece of soft wood or folded thick cardboard to protect the body, and the post screwed about halfway into the insert, use it to carefully and slowly pull the insert out of the body, watching for finish or wood lifting around the sides. To get it back in, protect the top of the insert with some wood and drive it back using a medium-weight hammer.

The wiring actually looks OK in terms of the connections - however, there is *miles* too much excess cable, which even though it's shielded, will not help. In particular the pickup cables (which could also short against the pot terminals) and the yellow cables from the switch to the tone pot and the jack are far too long - the one from the switch to the tone pot is absolutely ridiculous. (I appreciate that you probably simply left the factory lengths here - they're notorious for this.) You need to shorten them to a sensible minimum where there's enough slack that you can move the wires about if you need to do any further work, but not much more than that.

Shortening the cabling may also actually improve the tone of the guitar - it can increase clarity quite noticeably.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited December 2023
    ICBM said:
    I'm assuming you actually mean buzz and not hum (they're not the same thing ), since this is normally the problem when it happens when the volume is down a bit but not full up, so on that basis it's probably a shielding issue. If the bridge ground wire isn't connected to anything that would do it...

The wire needs to go to either the bridge post insert or the tailpiece insert - if it's been pulled out at the body end this can be tricky - you need to remove the insert from the body, poke the wire back up the hole from the control cavity, strip the end, and tuck it down the side of the hole so the insert traps it in place and makes electrical contact.

Getting the post insert out without damaging anything needs a bit of care - surprisingly, the right tool is a large claw hammer or a small crowbar . With a piece of soft wood or folded thick cardboard to protect the body, and the post screwed about halfway into the insert, use it to carefully and slowly pull the insert out of the body, watching for finish or wood lifting around the sides. To get it back in, protect the top of the insert with some wood and drive it back using a medium-weight hammer.

The wiring actually looks OK in terms of the connections - however, there is *miles* too much excess cable, which even though it's shielded, will not help. In particular the pickup cables (which could also short against the pot terminals) and the yellow cables from the switch to the tone pot and the jack are far too long - the one from the switch to the tone pot is absolutely ridiculous. (I appreciate that you probably simply left the factory lengths here - they're notorious for this.) You need to shorten them to a sensible minimum where there's enough slack that you can move the wires about if you need to do any further work, but not much more than that.

Shortening the cabling may also actually improve the tone of the guitar - it can increase clarity quite noticeably.
    Amazing thank you, yes that’s all stock wiring. I assumed it was a little long. However I think I have a switch issue. I have now worked how to connect that wire to the bridge posts, so that’s a bonus. 

So tomorrow I will have another go and potentially order a new switch, although I’ve never wired one of these so might be interesting. 

On the plus note it has full sized pots which I wasn’t expecting. 

Oh and yes you’re completely right I had to use a claw hammer on the posts, I had googled that the other day. I was quite surprised by that. 

edited December 2023
    @icbm is the reason it improves tone due to the longer wires have some form of capacitor value 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72415

So tomorrow I will have another go and potentially order a new switch, although I’ve never wired one of these so might be interesting.
    It probably just needs cleaning. That type of switch is very simple and reliable unless the spring leaves get bent wrongly.

Oh and yes you’re completely right I had to use a claw hammer on the posts, I had googled that the other day. I was quite surprised by that.
    I use a crowbar. I have done it with the guitar owner watching... :D 

@icbm is the reason it improves tone due to the longer wires have some form of capacitor value 
    Yes, exactly. The electrical value is very small, but it seems to make a surprisingly large difference.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein