Is there a pedal that will do this?

What's Hot
FlipFlip Frets: 68
I'm preparing a set of songs to play with my grandson and number of them (sorry to give away my age here)  like Only You, Blueberry Hill, and even Chantilly Lace, feature chords played on a piano in a rather staccato rhythm four or even eight to the bar. If readers remember the songs (by the Platters, Fats Domino and the Big Bopper respectively) that's the style to which I refer.

My question is whether there's a pedal that can make my guitar sound anything like that?

I imagine it would be rather like a vibrato in which the 'quiet' part of the vibrato would cut out almost completely, combined with an element of reverb.

I realise that trying to describe a sound effect in words is a bit like describing in writing a Chinese character. Because I wouldn't be able to make extensive use of this pedal I'm looking at the lower price market rather than a sophisticated device that would probably make hundreds of other effects as well.  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28953
    I think you may be describing a tremolo pedal. With a square wave. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:
    I think you may be describing a tremolo pedal. With a square wave. 
    In which case, @Flip search online for trelicopter - this is a popular and cheap tremolo pedal that is well respected. 
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28953
    Go Team! 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FlipFlip Frets: 68
    Immense and embarrassing thanks - for I have a trelicopter that I've only used for what I'd best describe as 'soft' tremolo.  I'm very grateful.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You're welcome Flip. Turning the bias control up should get you into the ballpark. I hope the set goes down well, and that you and your grandson have fun with it.
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1496
    Late to give any input, but I'm here to wish you luck. It sounds like a fab idea - the fun you have performing it will be more important than any effects ... but do add some reverb, especially for Chantilly Lace!
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • The problem with doing this with a pedal is that it requires everyone to be able to stick to a very rigid rhythm. If you fall out of sync with the tremolo pulse you can't easily get back in sync without stopping and restarting. Your guitar has to be the reference everyone uses for the tempo, so you need to make sure everyone can hear it.
    Guitarists playing that sort of music would just strum eighth notes. It's harder than it looks.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.