Drumkit recommendations for an 8 year old beginner?

What's Hot
Hi all,

Sorry for asking this old chestnut. I have read quite a few threads on this topic, but still in a pickle deciding what to do. 

All the wisdom on here is that electronic kits are a bad idea for beginners and to bite the bullet with a real kit. We can just about cope with the possible noise levels (we are currently in a detached house, but likely to move in summer and it could well be a flat). Of course I am not really all that keen on listening to 40 mins of We Will Rock You on drums so volume is an issue in general.

But the biggest problem is space. There is no room in his bedroom and the spare bedroom is also pretty cramped. I think an acoustic would just fit, but we can't live with not being able to get in there for all the other stuff we have in there.

So that means that a kit that folds up and down easily would be a very high priority.

Budget-wise lower is better and definitely looking at a second hand purchase in the sub-£300 category. Having said that could go higher if it would be easy to get our money back if it comes to re-selling it in 6 months.

I think that all of this means that I need a fold up acoustic kit with mesh heads and some kind of quiet cymbals. Does that exist? I saw a Trap A450, but it doesn't seem to have mesh heads.

On a related point I'm not convinced that he's going to use it much. He's been having 1 to 1 lessons for 18 months, but has not progressed beyond We Will Rock You and has never shown any interest in practicing at home. So there may well be a need to get the money back by selling it in 6 months.

Thanks in advance for guidance as his mum is hassling me to sort this out for xmas.

I also secretly fancy having a go myself.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    My wife's cousin's daughter is 10. They got her a drum kit. The noise!!!!!!! 

Personally I would get electronic where they can bash away to hearts content and you just hear the hitting of pads in the distance. Something like a Roland TD-4KP which is small and folds up as well.

Fine for working out a) if one likes drumming b) if one has aptitude

Bear in mind that most kids are ONLY into drumming for 5 minutes. My 4 were into my electronic drumkit for about that long each when they were little kids and that was it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    A quick look on Gumtree in London shows 4 kits for sale within your budget. All are electric, compact and quietish - no real drum sounds but whacking wooden sticks onto rubber cymbals creates a sound that neighbours can often hear.

As he is having lessons the teacher would be the best person to guide him.
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1130
    axisus said:
    My wife's cousin's daughter is 10. They got her a drum kit. The noise!!!!!!! 

Personally I would get electronic where they can bash away to hearts content and you just hear the hitting of pads in the distance. Something like a Roland TD-4KP which is small and folds up as well.

Fine for working out a) if one likes drumming b) if one has aptitude

Bear in mind that most kids are ONLY into drumming for 5 minutes. My 4 were into my electronic drumkit for about that long each when they were little kids and that was it!
    I've had a play with one of these.  While it's clearly not as loud as a proper kit it is a long long way from silent!
  • allenallen Frets: 712
    Thanks all. I've now watched a fair few youtube video on the topic.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72500
    Arbiter Flats. Astoundingly good for the small amount of space they take up, not expensive, not too loud, but good enough and loud enough to play with a quiet band when he gets a bit older, if that makes sense.

Are you near Epsom?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256331603711

(No affiliation.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3313
    An electronic kit is a good way to start and my son started on the basic Roland one. 
    Yep, it hasn't got the same feel as a real kit but having any of the heads that are mesh as opposed to hard plastic with probably the importance being on the snare, works well and there are enough sounds there and teaching guides to help keep it interesting.
    Headphones, small footprint and there's one on here for £200 and no affiliation
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/256954/fs-tourtech-tt-22m-electronic-drums#latest
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7810
    edited December 2023
    allen said:

On a related point I'm not convinced that he's going to use it much. He's been having 1 to 1 lessons for 18 months, but has not progressed beyond We Will Rock You and has never shown any interest in practicing at home. So there may well be a need to get the money back by selling it in 6 months.

Thanks in advance for guidance as his mum is hassling me to sort this out for xmas.

I also secretly fancy having a go myself.

change teacher? Imagine how bored you would be if you were doing the same thing over and over for 18 months....

Drums are awesome. Learning will improve your guitar playing as well.

I love my electronic kit.... it's small, quiet enough to play when the kids are in bed.... very easy to play along with backing tracks and record. For getting going in drums I really don't see an issue... invest more when it's become a passion.

Resale value of cheap kits is bad though.
    Many thanks for all the advice.

We have just got a Fame DD One, which according to reddit is a medeli DD518DX and maybe a millenium 850.

It's got a real kick drum pedal and a real hi-hat pedal - which I think are pretty good features at this price point.

Mesh heads all round and 4 toms.

Have just spent the last hour putting it together.

Any guidance on good youtube videos on how to setup up drum heights angles etc.?

Plus guidance on setting up the feel of the kick drum and hi-hat?

Answering my own question

• Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    I bought my son one of these kits during the first lockdown after watching a few YouTube videos on it.
    It’s amazing value for money and has survived years of heavy use and abuse and still working brilliantly .

https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_xd80usb_e_drum_set.htm