mid-price baritone acoustic choices

What's Hot
I have an Alvarez ABT60 that I think is an amazing guitar for the price. I'm thinking about upgrading to something a bit "nicer" so interested to hear any recommendations. 

From playing around with different types of strings on the Alvarez, I've concluded that I prefer a fairly clear sound without too much in the way of overtones (I much prefer this guitar strung with nickel plated steel strings from Newtone than with PB). Which makes me suspect I want to steer clear of rosewood.

I prefer a fairly traditional appearance - not too keen on anything with oddly placed sound holes, or even cutaway etc.

Anyone have any suggestions? Ideally looking in the ~1-2k price range.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Have you checked out those 8 string baritone acoustics? They look and sound fantastic.
  • Bjj22Bjj22 Frets: 1
    Not necessarily what I was after but they do look pretty interesting!
  • Faith Neptune Baritone? I fancy one of those eventually as an upgrade to my Ibanez AEL baritone. 

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

• Gmd85Gmd85 Frets: 8
    edited December 2023
    I have a Furch blue baritone which is a lovely guitar, though I prefer it tuned c to c with med/heavy (lighter than 'baritone') strings. 

If I were doing it again, I'd strongly consider a spruce instead of cedar top - baritones can get a bit muddy as it is, I think the cedar contributes to that. I'd also try to find one with a cutaway. Those higher notes that I don't really use often on a normal acoustic are more tempting on a baritone. 

Also look around at used, they don't seem to hold their value well so you can pick up a bargain. Your budget should get you something seriously nice on the used market. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5450
    ^ Wizzed despite the heresy of wanting a cutaway on a baritone. If we wanted to play twiddly notes, we'd play a normal guitar, and if we were serious we'd switch to an instrument that actually sounds good played well up the neck (i.e., an electric). 

But I'm 100% with you on the tuning thing. At 710mm, the Furch baritone scale length is more generous than most, but still not really long enough for B tuning unless you like flub. 

On my Thunderhawk (730mm scale) I find that C tuning works brilliantly using 16-68 strings with a wound 2 (John Pierce or Newtone). B tuning, with those strings or with 17-70s, works sort-of-OK, but with C tuning it becomes a completely different instrument, a magnificent piano-like growl from the big spruce top and Rock Maple back. 

That suggests to me that @Gmd85 is on the right track and that a spruce top is a very good idea. 

Someone here not so long ago was selling a spruce and mahogany Thunderhawk at an extremely reasonable price (especially for such a rare and sought-after model). That would have been perfect for you @Bjj22 - and to hell with your desire not to have an asymmetric soundhole! For a sound like that, you go with what works best. Sadly, that one would be sold by now.

But back to @Gmd85's post. He implies that the cedar top on his Furch can get a bit muddy. Now my other baritone (a custom build by Paul Mineur) has a King Billy Pine top - a soft timber said to be tonally similar to cedar. It has the same scale and body dimensions as the Thunderhawk. At first, I rather feared that the large, soft King Billy top hadn't been such a great idea, it did seem to lack definition and punch. But before too long I adjusted. 

First, I learned to treat it as a different instrument. The Thunderhawk loves C tuning and sings like a cello. The Mineur, it turns out, works better in B. I've adjusted my technique slightly to get more attack, and adjusted the things I play to go a little slower and give the notes more time to breathe. Although very large and very soft, the top is also very light, and a light, crisp touch brings it to life in ways I lack the verbal skill to describe. Let's just say that it has become my favourite guitar. 

All of that notwithstanding, I would still lean towards spruce for a baritone, especially if you want to play with another instrument.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • How does a baritone differ from the sound of your common or garden model?
  • Bjj22Bjj22 Frets: 1
    Thanks, yeah re cedar that was exactly my thoughts. I did try a Furch cedar/rosewood baritone that I just felt sounded too muddy. (incidentally those Furch baritone are about the price range I have in mind - ideally a spruce/mahogany or spruce/walnut, without a cutaway!).

I remember seeing that thunderhawk for sale in classifieds but aesthetically wasn't for me!! Maybe need to stop being so traditional tho if it sounds that good.