Got up to play with some pro’s!

What's Hot
Last Friday I was asked to do a song with mates band at a nice hall, full Pa rig, some great players who had all played with some serious names. Other guitarist had a LP, Strat and SG a very nice boutique amp type of thing forgot make. Mate asked me to bring an amp and stick it on stage and they will mic it up. So I get on stage with main guitarist and he gives me a level they will be playing at, so set amp and buggered off, didn’t bother with fx just my SS 75w Marshall combo and Tele. 
Lot of great Compliments about tone and how it cut through. Then a session player Adam Phillips got up, a s/f Deluxe reverb, overdrive and a strat, wow, wiped the floor with us, just a great learning experience. Lovely guy and such a great player. But what a tone!
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    What is a s/f?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3589
    Whistler said:
    What is a s/f?
    Silver face ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bobaccobobacco Frets: 535
    Solid state I reckon?

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    edited December 2023
    Not actually but almost…

went to a jam at Lacock, and Innes Sibun played the previous slot to yours truly.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4137
    edited December 2023
    Silver Face Deluxe as opposed to a Black Face Deluxe amp.
  • 4on64on6 Frets: 86
    I was at Guitar Academy (it’s been some years since it was called that even) with Adam Phillips years ago… he had a bashed old Ibanez Blazer that wouldn’t stay in tune and always went for the Peavey Bandit that everyone else avoided… and got the best /sweetest tone. There were a bunch of Satriani/Vai type people players there but we all paid attention when Adam was playing. He already had loads of Carlton and Ford vocabulary then…. and was probably the most self effacing student there. 
    Caught up with him later playing with Tom Robinson and also with Hamish Stewart. Adam played through a beaten Blues Deluxe with just a cheap tremelo pedal (mind you he did have a nice 335 by then)… and proceeded to get one of the best sounds I’ve heard live. 
    He’s a diamond… if you ever get a chance to hear him.. do!
    If you’re out there Adam. Good on yer!! 

• I saw Adam Phillips with Hamish Stewart a few years ago, excellent player. Very unforgiving tone, Strat into a Twin Reverb set very clean and loud, with just a bit of reverb and/or echo. It would have terrified a lot of players but he made it sound great.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Had a similar live experience once with a session guy, he got up with this little 1x10 valve thing and a tube screamer and slaughtered everyone in a ten mile radius. It was glorious lol