Interesting note choice..

What's Hot
Ever listen to a guitar solo and think.. "ooh I like that note choice and phrasing"...??

I was listening to some old stuff on my mp3 drive recently and had this moment... but now I feel inclined to dig deeper and ask why does it work... then perhaps I can introduce it into my own musical palette when the occasion arises.

I'm going to stick my neck out here and take a wild guess but hopefully someone more educated can correct me..

The track in question is the '89 rework of The Outfield's Somewhere In America... tonality suggest D minor... chords possibly D minor to G major? The lead break reeks of Gilmour, but played tastefully by John Spinks.

The note choice in question.. well take a listen, I'm sure it will stand out... but I think technically it's a major sixth note played over the V chord in the progression. Being in a minor key this jumps out and catches my ear at least.. 

As I said, hopefully someone can correct my theory here cos I'm a novice..  here's the track...

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10708
    edited December 2023
    Yup, a sudden Dorian note in a sea of Aeolian. He repeats it right at the end of the solo for a millisecond.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • viz said:
    Yup, a sudden Dorian note in a sea of Aeolian. He repeats it right at the end of the solo for a millisecond.
    yes I noticed that too,  the note is used again fleetingly, albeit in a lower octave... the original usage though.. that bend.. awesome..

Thanks for that explanation.. it really is as simple as that isn't it, the use of the "dorian" note.

So why does it work? It sounds like a vamp of 2 chords..  D minor and maybe G major?  the latter would allow for such use of the dorian note of course..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    When you say “major 6th note played over the V chord”, do you mean the major 6th note of the tonic or of the V chord?  

Either way, without an instrument at hand, I’m trying to square this major 6th note with the “Dorian note in a sea of Aeolian”.
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1658
    edited December 2023
    Cranky said:
    When you say “major 6th note played over the V chord”, do you mean the major 6th note of the tonic or of the V chord?  

Either way, without an instrument at hand, I’m trying to square this major 6th note with the “Dorian note in a sea of Aeolian”.
    well firstly you do well to take my technical musings with a pinch of salt.. they may not be accurate...  but essentially its raising the 6th note of the minor scale...  whilst over the V(v) chord of the i-V progression...

or at least that's how I see it..  hopefully wiser folks can correct this where applicable...
    My trading feedback

• vizviz Frets: 10708
    viz said:
    yes I noticed that too,  the note is used again fleetingly, albeit in a lower octave... the original usage though.. that bend.. awesome..

Thanks for that explanation.. it really is as simple as that isn't it, the use of the "dorian" note.

So why does it work? It sounds like a vamp of 2 chords..  D minor and maybe G major?  the latter would allow for such use of the dorian note of course..

Exactly - just the introduction of that major 6th in a minor key suddenly puts you in mind of a major IV chord, which is the hallmark chord of Dorian. Dorian has a minor i and a major IV.

So yes, it does suddenly sound as though there's a fragment of G major there, even if there isn't - it's just that note. 

Of course, you don't have to go "all modal" - you could also just call it an accidental, just the fleeting use of a B natural instead of the expected Bb (the following harmony includes the Bb chord, which is Aeolian through and through).

(not sure what you're referring to with your mention of the V chord, btw)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • viz said:

(not sure what you're referring to with your mention of the V chord, btw)
    me neither, I can only assume I had started from C by mistake, not D..  I meant IV chord... 

I see the backing behind this solo as a vamp from D minor to G major (possibly minor) so yeah...  i - IV  (not V)
    Like I said, I knew I would need correcting along the way...

But more importantly I can now look at stuff I currently play with this progression and see if I can try it out...
    My trading feedback

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10434
    I hear a  Dm Bb and G progression .... there's a blues note at the end of the solo, as in half sharp 4th 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Danny1969 said:
    I hear a  Dm Bb and G progression .... there's a blues note at the end of the solo, as in half sharp 4th 

Yeah, with headphones on I can definitely hear that clearer.. 2x Dm, Bb, G

My trading feedback