Comic art legend Ian Gibson

axisusaxisus Frets: 28339

Sad news, Comic art legend Ian Gibson has left us. He’d been ill for some time with cancer but managed to keep posting small snippets of info or the odd sketch on Facebook.

I was a massive fan of the comic 2000AD which started in the 70s (still have the first 8 years in boxes). One of the great artists was Ian, who had a wonderful, unique style, you could spot his characters a mile off. He was a judge Dredd artist at times, but he really made his name with two fantastic stories – Robohunter and The Ballad of Halo Jones. Pix from both below.

He was always one of the most popular artists to work on 2000AD, and even now has a big fanbase.

I wrote my honours degree dissertation on comic art, and I featured his artwork on the cover.

Sad day, an icon of my youth.

From 2000AD:  “His passing represents another profound loss from the golden generation of artists and writers who established 2000 AD as an artistic and cultural powerhouse, his work enthralling and thrilling generations of children.”

Robo-Hunter:

The Ballad of Halo Jones:

Judge Dredd

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2371
    Ian Gibson RIP.

The Judge Dredd story about Billy is one of the very early ones, the look of the Judges uniforms took a few issues to settle down.

Loved 2000AD and the 3 characters you mentioned.  I saw issue one in a news agent and badgered my folks for the 8p to buy it.  I had the first 500 plus issues and my Mum threw them out when we moved house.

A lot of 2000AD has seeped into popular culture. films, video games etc.  A lot of people don't pick up on it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom