Carr going British - Belray!!

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27108
edited December 2023 in Amps

This thing looks like it should be gooooooood... Could be my perfect Brit-voiced amp. 

https://www.humbuckermusic.com/collections/carr-bel-ray

The Carr Bel-Ray amp is three British classics in one 16-watt circuit. With the big, powerful amplifiers of the golden age of guitar tone ever harder to use on stage and in the studio, the Carr Bel-Ray reconfigures three legendary ’60s to early ’70s sounds from across the pond into a portable, club-friendly package that dishes out classic British chime, crunch, and kerrang in a format today’s player can actually use.

Fronting a dual-EL84 output stage that generates 16 watts of power, the Bel-Ray sports a front end of two 12AX7s plus a fat British-voiced EF86 pentode tube in a triple-threat preamp that delivers Vox Top Boost chime, Marshall Plexi grind, and Hiwatt punch at the twist of a switch.

https://www.instagram.com/erichaugen_guitar/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=02a086e5-6eec-4976-b5ab-a27479aaaaf0 ;
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• That looks interesting - will it be master volume? 
  • That looks interesting - will it be master volume? 
    Carr usually use an attenuator/power scaling instead. I haven't owned one (yet..) but they seem to work very well when I've demoed them. 

IIRC @Wazmeister - among others - has had one or two in the past? 

I have to say I've been lusting after a Mercury V for a long while but this might actually be even better

• I’ve got a Slant 6V and a Super Bee. Love both, have to say I’ve been very impressed with the attenuator on the latter - lovely tones at very quiet volumes
  • guitaraj said:
    I’ve got a Slant 6V and a Super Bee. Love both, have to say I’ve been very impressed with the attenuator on the latter - lovely tones at very quiet volumes
    I have a feeling I'd love a Super Bee too. I just need more money....!! :D :D 
  • guitaraj said:
    I’ve got a Slant 6V and a Super Bee. Love both, have to say I’ve been very impressed with the attenuator on the latter - lovely tones at very quiet volumes
    I have a feeling I'd love a Super Bee too. I just need more money....!! :D :D 
    I got a good deal at Coda and went for the 10inch speaker - it’s a sweet sound! (Well it does quite a few sounds) 
  • Every single Carr I’ve played has been superb… and dead silent, and I mean, silent.

I think Carr is a unique amp builder, and I have the most respect for
    him.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The attentuation is superb too… the Merc V is a superb amp and I miss mine.
  • I love my Merc V 

Not a fan of ef86 & el84s, in my experience generally a bit raspy in a 15watter when overdriven. Although this is probably going to be a good amp either way. 
  • It launched on 29 November and has an attenuator… but it doesn’t have reverb! I know the amps that it’s emulating didn’t either but that omission would put me off personally, and I bloody love Carrs!
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9324
    Had a superbee which is a superb home/studio amp but not powerful enough live.
    The attenuator was brilliant right down to quieter than talking volume. 
    Looks a very interesting design. Steve Carr is in the genius category.
    Im sure coda will get these in.
  • chris78 said:
    I dropped Coda an email earlier today and Doug said they’ll probably have spare stock in Feb
  • Looks similar to what Cornell did with their new studio 20. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    I'm very Carr experienced
    ......Rambler unbeatable , Slant 6v also unbeatable but can be a tiny bit too ice-pick ....needs a Cannbis Rex speaker to soften
    The best amp he has ever made is the Carr Lincoln .......stopped making them because they were so expensive to make ;they are an absolutely beautiful AC 15 .....sound is fat and yet sparkly ,huge and room filling ......better than Matchless
    Also had Hammerhead, The Bloke ,Merc V ,Merc ........all very good but not Historic (as Michael Winner would say )
    That's a lot of goes at the 'British ' sound and now another one..........
    His Lincoln really is the best Voxy amp I ever heard but he hasn't rung the bell with the Marshalls in my opinion
    Some of his lesser known amps like the Impala , Sportsman and Viceroy are also superb but his forte is that American/Fender type sound
  • Josh_CoskuJosh_Cosku Frets: 181
    edited December 2023
    +1 to all Super Bee comments. I have one 10", I bought it new from Coda. It is more inspiring Two Rock Studio Signature that I have because you can get great clean/edge of break up/driven tones at home volumes without any pedals with a really lush reverb. 

Unfortunately, it is not loud enough for gigging and TR shines in this area. 

I am not very familiar with British Amps, never owned one but I really liked the colour of first Bel Ray .
  • guitaraj said:
    chris78 said:
    I dropped Coda an email earlier today and Doug said they’ll probably have spare stock in Feb
    Did he give a price?
  • guitaraj said:
    chris78 said:
    Did he give a price?
    No, but I’d guess same sort of price as the Super Bee.
  • rprrpr Frets: 310

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DumodalDumodal Frets: 490
    guitaraj said:
    chris78 said:
    Did he give a price?
    He gave a price to me, he said between £3k to £3.2k depends of currency exchange rate.
  • rpr said:

Slightly off topic but Eric is such a lovely guy and player. Not met him in person but chatted many times online through work and he's always a sweet person and genuinely insightful about technique and theory. Great choice to demo the amp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom